Loghorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Loghorn?

mac_mogul said:
Also, the biggest thing with Vista that I can find, is that it will boast I.E. 7.0 with pop-up ad blocking.
Wait a second.
Apple's browser had pop-up blocking from day one. Mozilla's FireFox has also been blocking pop-ups since beta. (I have no opera experience, but) I'm sure Opera has been doing the same also. So why has it taken SO LONG for Microsoft to take the hint?

Actually, since Service Pack 2, Internet Explorer has had popup blocking. However, for all those not using XP SP2, (that includes all pre-XP users), this feature is not available.

The disappointing thing with Vista is that WinFS will not be available except as a beta. There was a lot of hype about it and how revolutionary it was going to make Longhorn, but it isn't going to be ready in time. I think the main thing with Vista is not being able to live up to anything near its hype. It isn't going to be as revolutionary as it was supposed to be; more on the evolutionary side.

Oh well, I'm a happy Linux user and have absolutely no intention of switching to Windows anytime soon. Using Linux has changed the way I use a computer for the better and actually made many things more efficient. When I'm in front of a Windows XP computer, it's sort of like, "WHERE'S MY BASH SHELL?" :p ...I like so many aspects of the UNIX way of doing things better and I've gotten adapted to it to a point where I can be comfortable using Linux, BSD, OS X, etc, but Windows feels...awkward.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Loghorn?

Qiranworms said:
The disappointing thing with Vista is that WinFS will not be available except as a beta.
Well, we all knew this was going to be an ambitious project on MS's part. I'm happy they didn't include it. I would rather they spend the extra time hammering things out to get it RIGHT before they release it, than hand us a peice of junk like they used to do in the past. MS is making some surprisingly intelligent turn-arounds recently. I think people should take note of that fact.

Qiranworms said:
Oh well, I'm a happy Linux user and have absolutely no intention of switching to Windows anytime soon. Using Linux has changed the way I use a computer for the better and actually made many things more efficient. When I'm in front of a Windows XP computer, it's sort of like, "WHERE'S MY BASH SHELL?" :p ...I like so many aspects of the UNIX way of doing things better and I've gotten adapted to it to a point where I can be comfortable using Linux, BSD, OS X, etc, but Windows feels...awkward.
Each to his own. One system is not necissarily better than the other. It's entirely user preference. I can't stand Unix/Linux systems for many reasons (and I did spend considerable time with them while in college). I have nothing against the OS itself, I just don't like it. This is the same reason I don't own a Mac. It's not that I don't think the whole Mac thing is worthy or whatever, it's just that I don't like that environment. I like Windows, it has its quirks but you get used to them. Like you master Linux, you can master Windows. Most of the hype about Windows is unfounded anyway. You just use what you want to use and don't let any other idiots push you around.

As for Vista, I fully plan to upgrade when it comes out (uh...maybe a couple months after it comes out, though...I never update straight out of the shoot). So it'll cost me money, big hairy deal. I've had some time to put my hands on Vista, and though it's a cloogy beta, I like some of the new features. Plus it's always good to stay up to date.

macdude425 said:
Unfortunately mac, people are going to buy it anyways because they're n00bs...

People may not neccessarily "buy" it, rather than buy into it. It'll most likely be packaged into the typical Sony Viao's and HP Pavillions at Wal-Mart. So the n00bs will just end up with Vista... Not by choice, but by fate :(

Ya know, for something that's still beta...people sure have been making a lot of quick accusations.

The same crap happened when XP came to beta. Everyone was like "oh it's the end of the world!" and then XP came out and everyone was like "oh...it's not the end of the world....but there's still these problems"...and then a couple months later...those problems went away too.

Ya'll need to chill out.

u know, im running beta 1 right now. the install greatly resembled fc2, the filing system greatly resembles a linux fs, the gui looks almost exactly like kde 3.4, ie7 looks and acts like the fox's baby brother. if you ask me, i like it but not enough to spend 300 dollars on it.

fateisajester said:
u know, im running beta 1 right now. the install greatly resembled fc2, the filing system greatly resembles a linux fs, the gui looks almost exactly like kde 3.4, ie7 looks and acts like the fox's baby brother. if you ask me, i like it but not enough to spend 300 dollars on it.
1. There's similarities because people complained and MS finally listened! Any similarities mean they actually spent time looking at what people were asking for.

2. Outside of server editions, I've NEVER spent $300 on a Microsoft OS. If you have, you've been ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom