Memory Dividers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanker

Banned
This deserved its own topic.

Now that I know what memory dividers are and what they do...whats the catch? Why doesn't everyone use them? If you could go to 250MHz on valuememory, why would you bother to buy overclocking RAM? Just seems fishy to me.

I almost wrote an essay about this when you asked me, why dont you post it here to allow other people to see?

OR, you can play with your memory dividers yourself and see

EDIT: I found it

Okay in your system, your memory is 1:1 with the FSB (DDR400 is actually 200mhz)

If you make that divider 5:6 your RAM run's at lets say 166mhz when your FSB is 200 mhz.

You raise your FSB to 210 mhz it's now (FSB * 5/6 [0.833_]) which gives you a new memory speed of 175 mhz now.

At 250 it is 208mhz, which is an overclock almost any memory can do and your processor is nwo running much faster.

Oh yeah, and about the where you can buy memory dividers thing.

Their built into EVERY motherboard I can see, it's where you adjust the frequency of the memory in the BIOS.

Dude I know about and read three times what you wrote. It was an excellent description and I thank you for that, but my question is, is there another side effect of using memory dividers? Why doesn't everyone that overclocks use memory dividers? Is there a risk in using them? I'd play with them, but I don't want it to mess with anything else in my system that I don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom