Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShivX

Solid State Member
Hey, Im new to the forums so hello to everyone. Hopefully you guys can help me(last forums i went to didnt). This is my first time building a computer and the first time messing with new features.

1. When installing an AMD 64 chip into a motherboard, along with a cpu fan, is there any application i should put on prior to placing the chip? I heard of some type of gel you put down but I'm not sure where and how much.

2. I am going to hook up a RAID 0 with my 2 Seagate 80GB S-ATA HDD's. My computer will be bone stock when i hook put it together. No OS. Is there a way to enable the RAID before an OS is implemented because when it is established, it formats the drives so I'm guessing it would be a waste to install an OS and have it whiped immediately.

Thats all I got right now, Ill reply if I think of anything else. If you can provide me with any other info for a first time building to be aware of, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

For your sata raid array, definatly follow this guide SATA RAID GUIDE

and as for the other part, you need thermal paste on the top of the cpu, just a thin spread to completly cover the showing metal square on top. Arctic silver is the most prominant and widely used, ive used it on probably over 100 computers, and used it to get computers that wouldnt run to run, just due to heat dissapation.

You can pick up arctic silver at just about any online computer part retailer.

newegg.com
frozencpu.com
etc...

if its a retail proessor it coems iwth thermal pad or paste alreayd on the bottom

OK, thanks guys for the quick response. Im still confused about the RAID. I have two controllers built into my mobo. two identical drives. This computer will have no OS on it. So heres a few questions im still clueless about.

Does it matter whether an OS is installed or not?

Do I plug each HDD into seperate controllers or is it like IDE with MA and SL cords?

I dont believe Ive seen any MA/SL S-ATA cords but maybe i missed them. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom