mrlewp

Baseband Member
I've been to Disk Management several times now, leaving
frustrated once more. Have a new drive , already formatted, and
just want to set up a partition on it. I've read over and over
the help files on this. Problem is, instructiions say to r-click on
"unallocated " space , and select "New Partition"......but that
option never appears for me , and I've right-clicked on just about
every pixel of screen area that displays the drive info. Only options that appear for me are "Delete Partition" , "Format" ,and
other non-related options. What gives ??

this is because you are reading instruction using the winXP or win2000 operating system through disk managment snap-in, a function of computer management.

if you indeed are using winXP you must right click my computer and select "manage". click "stoage" than click "disk management (local storage) snap-in".

you do not partition on formatted space. you must partition on unformatted space (called unallocated space) or delete a formatted space so you can free up more space to partition (to create more unallocated space).

if you are using win98/win95/ millenium you would use fdisk and the DOS command format. if using these operating systems go to computerhope.com and follow their fdisk simulator.

another way to format with winXP or 2000 is boot from the operating system CD or create setup diskettes. disk management is by far the best way if you have this option and can use it in your situation.

I found that partition Magic is the best for what you want to do. You can set the partition sizes and also set what kind of format you want for each partition. I use it and it works great.

Yea, I agree. Partition Magic is the easiest to use. You should be able to use the integrated utility though. Can you take a screen shot of what you are seeing and then paste it on here?

-Mike

Easy as pie

No matter what OS ur using you can always use fdisk from DOS. Go to driverguide.com, sign in with username "drivers" password "all" and then after signing in just paste this url:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=62261
that wil make a boot up floppy disk, don't worry, it says it's just for win9x, but it works just fine. boot your comp with the disk in the drive, then run fdsik to set up a partition. Using this method will NOT let you partition under NTFS, but a NTFS partition pretty much disables you from using DOS to fix your comp and believe me it's very helpful.

If you are using XP just delete the partition and leave it in the windows xp setup it will automaticly partition the hard drive and format it in ntfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom