Autostart and autoinstall from a cd... help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanyDotK

Baseband Member
Ok, this is basically what I want to do, I have a cd full of programs that I want to install at a click of a button. Basically when I put in the cd, I want a window to come up, then I press a button and it automatically opens the file and installs the program one by one. If anybody knows what can do this, let me know, thanks!

U can make an such apps on n CD useing Autoplay Studio .. It's a pretty good application .. i use to make automated cd's for post OS installations ..Saves me a lot of time n' work .. since i can have all this automated.
Herez the link

VanyDotK said:
so far I got it to run the program when I click it, what command do I use to make it install by itself? I just need the action code. thanks!

Can't remember the actions rite now .. It's installed on my home machine n' i'm at work now .. Just look at the help file .. it HAS A VERY DETAILED DESCRIPTION ON THE ACTIONS ..

I'll post again .. once i get hom en' take a look at it ..

Until then play around a little bit .. u'll figure it out ;)

alright, I've worked on this program for a while and I still can't get it to do what I want it to do with the actions. I'm probably just not doing something right. Basically, I'm trying to get it to auto install Ad-aware then auto install Spybot, and other various programs with one click of a button. I want it to press next, during the installation files, is this possible? if so, how?? thanks!

Sounds like you are wanting to script the apps to do unattended installs. There are programs like Installshield that will allow you to do this. That is what I use at work to do what you are talking about.
If the installs are MSI installs then it's pretty simple to do. If there are setup.exe's then it's a bit tougher. There are a lot of steps involved to do what you are wanting, but It can be done. Check out Installshield and see what you think. I can give you help if you need further...

Okay I figured out which one it is, it's DevStudio. Do you think you can post furture instructions on how to do the unattended install?

I would recomend Admin Studio if you can get it. Gives you a broader range of apps to work with.

Depending on what you have to install with, the process is pretty compicated.

If you are running an MSI install, and have multiple MSI's to install with (MSI will be the file extention for the app you are wanting to install, or will be .exe as in setup.exe) you can create a basic MSI project and then add custom actions to launch the other MSI's and install them accordingly. The Steps for this are highlighted in this document:
http://www.installshield.com/aboutus/news/newsletter/NestedInstallations.doc
To do the installs with additional setup.exe's it takes a lot of tweaking. Most of which is handled by passing commands to cmd.exe and running batch files. All of this is done in the Install Execute sequence of the install, and are handled by Custom actions that you have to configure.
The silent(unattended) install is handled in a couple ways. If the app is an MSI, you can pass the /q option to it in a batch file or from the RUN line. To do this you use this syntax:
msiexec.exe location\myprogram.msi /q
If the program is a Setup.exe, check for an INI file that goes with it and try applying the /qb switch in the CMD= (commandline=) field. If there isn't an INI file, the program will ussualy not allow you to run it quiet, so you have to deal with the prompts.
To get around the prompts you can use an app that comes with Admin Studio called Repackager. The repackaging program allows you to capture the installation and create a MSI from the captured data. If you have .exe app Installs, I would suggest getting them all to .MSI and then you can have a lot more control over how you install them.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom