Connecting up hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali G

Beta member
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help, I'm a bit of a newbie, although its not quite as easy peasy as the title of the thread may suggest!

Basically, I built my computer a year or so ago using an NF7-S Ausus Motherboard. This kit included a dinky gadget called a SERILLEL2 which enabled me to 'upgrade' my Diamond Maxtor hard drive to sata compatibility (apparently).

I'd now like to add another hard drive, for backup and a memory paging file and was thinking of buying an actual SATA drive rather than an IDE. Is it going to be possible for me to connect this to the IDE (acting as a SATA)? I'm not sure if the two can connect. Also if they can, is it possible for the SATA to be a slave with the IDE still as master, or is the master/slave not applicable with SATA drives?

I think the main reason I'm confused is because the handy SERILLEL2 muddles the two drive types and now Im not sure if my idea will work.

Hope this makes sense to someone! Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Ali :confused:

im currently setting up my first sata raid array so im noobish with it too. However, through my reading it has been said that those gadgets as you call it, that chain off an ide to convert to sata, dont actually improve performance because the ide still only has the throughput it original has. So if im not mistaken, you would be better of just buying a regular ide drive and adding that.

Hopefully someone can correct or confirm my thoughts for you.

good luck

Yae it will work just fine. But SATA drives don't use master/slave settings.

Just hook up the ATA drive with the SERILLEL2 connector just like you would a regular SATA drive. Even though they don't use master/slave settings, i think you need to jumper the "master" pins on the drive.

You'll have 2 working SATA drives, they just won't be master/slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom