So my new computer does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanghoeby

Baseband Member
The history of my computer.

1. Put together all hardware-started up and showed BIOS fine.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ venice core
Abit AN8 Sli Motherboard
Abit Ati Radeon x700pro
2x512MB Corsair ValueSelect 184-pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200RPM SATA 150
Pioneer Burner
Samsung 710N

Windows OEM Version SP2
Microsoft Office SP1

2. Loaded Windows-Comupter crashed several times during this. Restarted several times throughout time period to get Windows to finally run. (Internet would not run because of a driver not loaded right after Windows was installed.)
3. Reinstalled Windows and Nvidia Ethernet Driver next- Computer worked 100%.
4.After a few other drivers were loaded, a pop up said something about the Nvidia firewall letting something through. Then the computer screen would blink and then go to a blue screen with a full page of white writting for only a half second (not long enough to distinguish anything on the screen). Then it would restart.
5. I tried shutting off the firewall and running the Windows one, but that seemed to have no effect.
6. The computer went into a spree of running through the cycle of the blue screen to restart, regardless of if I did anything or just let Windows run.
7. I hit the shut down button and started the computer fresh- The Operating system would not load up.
8. After several restarts and small changes in BIOS, that did not work, I reset the CMOS jumper. This also having to effect on the computer starting up and loading Windows.
9. Ran Memtest86 for 9 runs with no errors.

And now I am here at the mercy of my computer to start working 7 days before I leave for college.

Got any ideas as to how to get my computer working?

Sounds like a possible memory failure, wrong kind of ram, or its in the wrong slots.

Try one stick at a time, or a different stick if you only have one. Make sure the jumper settings are correct for the memory your running.

I have always found it best to reseat the mobo, and only put in the additional cards that are absolutly necessary to get the pc running..

ie.. video card, 1 stick of memory, cpu, etc...

leave out the sound cards, modems, NICs, ie1394, usb cards, etc...

Once its all runnning smoothly, start adding parts one by one, and hopefully youll find out which is causing the failure.

Im gonna bet its the memory though.

Good lUck

If you didn't have to activate it yet, I would just do a fresh install of xp, use the xp cd to partiiton, format, reinstall.

what the hell are you talking about bass??? It should be the ram, i bet, don't listen to bass. he doesn't even know what he is talking about here. I don't even get why do we have that kind of people here. Bass, are you trying to get your post up or something...

nuke said:
what the hell are you talking about bass??? It should be the ram, i bet, don't listen to bass. he doesn't even know what he is talking about here. I don't even get why do we have that kind of people here. Bass, are you trying to get your post up or something...

Are you saying it's not possible a virus got in and is causing his problems? Did you read the part of his post about his firewall reporting something came in, and how memtest reported no errors?

I respect your opinions, all I ask is you respect mine, even if you don't agree with them.

On any other day I'd tell you where to go, but it's Friday and im in a good mood.

what the hell is wrong with you man??? did i say virus in there? did you read my post at all. god, do you just want to post anything you want here. I said its the ram..

I'll explain more later. I going somewhere now. you should have turn windows firewall off before you install nvidia. I had a similar problem with zonealarm and an abit mobo.

nvidia has the best firewall period. but you have to figure it out by yourself

play with these setting

Nvidiafirewall.jpg

Law said:
Try disabling fastwrite in BIOS and in the OS. Also set agp speed to off.

How and where in BIOS do I do this?

Also, I don't think it is my ram. I ran memtest86 for 9 cycles and nothing came up. The computer ran fine for the first 5 hours of useage, so why would the ram problem all of the sudden kick in now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom