Windows ME...wtf...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer

In Runtime
Aight my brothers computer is running windows me..

he goes into it one day (and says its not his fault :rolleyes: ) and the mouse driver isnt loading, the video is set to 16 colors and 640x480 and if you try to change it, it just goes back to that as a default. The sound isnt working... pretty much everythign quit working.

I checked the device manager thing and nothing appears to be wrong with the drivers.

Now, when im in safe mode, the mouse works. So i tried selective startup with a bunch of different combinations... no success. I then tried diagnostic startup.. everything appears to be working correctly, i can set the video properties how i like, the sound works, the mouse works... but then when you try to load certain programs you jsut get the blue screen of death

I ran ad-aware on it and tried spybot, but since its so f-ed up, i cant download the update

ad-aware found some small stuff but it didnt fix my problems

any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Uh reformat and go XP? I dunnue to me thats beyond repair it would really be easier to reformat. what kind of computer is it.

prebuilt or self made.

yah thats what i was thinkin.. but i dunno what he has on it that he doesnt wanna lose

its some kinda ibm that we bought from our school when they got new computers

awwwwwwwwwww, damm u got screwed I wouldn't take an IBM if it was free, Just backup the data and either buy a ME disc if he likes it so much, but ME is so crappy, or upgrade to XP and reformat and reinstall, then again.

I don't even think its worth working on, ask that if he needed to get a new computer what the budget would be, this one sounds wacked and is IBM to top it off.

well, it was about as close to free as you can get

ill probobly just end up reformatting even tho he'll be pissed about me losing his stuff.. but hell as long as he has a working computer he should be happy

u don't have to lose the data, copy it over to CD's then copy it back.

Im gonna tell u now. You will have more problems that the computer, i doubt reformating will end it.

just so i don't have to say, I told you so.
BUY A NEW ONE.
what does he use it for anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom