Trouble Reinstalling Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortyFiveAuto

Beta member
Ok, so I formatted my mother's hard drive and decided I would start on a clean slate to reinstall windows. However, I run into some problems.

Windows XP setup can delete, create, and partition just fine, but it's only until the files start copying on the hard drive that problems start popping up. Specifically, I get to the point where the (DOS-based?) setup program with the blue screen gives me a yellow progress bar indicating how far the file copying process has moved along. I will get to 11% (the file being copied at that time is driver.cab) and then the whole thing will crap out. What I mean by this is that another blue screen shows up with an error message that reads "Windows XP Setup has halted in order to prevent damage to your computer" or something to that effect. Then it will give me one of several errors, which all mean jack squat to me, including (listed in order of frequency):

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

PAGE_ERROR_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

A DRIVER CORRUPTED POOL MEMORY USED FOR HOLDING PAGES DESTINED FOR DISK

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Then I will simply reboot the computer, and of course the boot process does not complete. The system gives me a single error which reads:

NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

And these errors will happen again and again, every time I try to reinstall windows. Every time I delete an old partition, make a new one, format it, quickformat it, leave it be, whatever, I don't get much further than 11% on "Setup is Copying Files". Does anyone have ANY idea what in the hell could be wrong with this computer???

I think its RAM related, but since im not A+ certified yet.... Uh lets look at some others options, try reformating the HD in your computer that could solve alot.

The disc could be damaged.
The CD ROM and or its cable could be defective or damged
The memory could be bad like I said.
The HD may be wacked (youll know if it don't work in ur computer)

alot of things can be wrong.

I've tried reformatting several times, to no avail.

I don't get any kind of message to indicate that any of the sectors on the HD are bad, so I don't know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom