My System Won't Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkfist

Banned
I'll post my CPU specs right now:
AMD 2800+ Barton Athlon XP
Soyo Kt600 dragon plus
1024mb corsair value ram pc3200 (currently at pc2700)
fic radeon 9600 pro 128mb
western digital 120gb hard drive

Here's what happened, I ordered a new power supply and heatsink for the following reasons:

1. My computer kept overheating, thus resulting in crashes due to my MoBo's ABR (Anti-Burn Regulator). This is why I got the heatsink (Volcano 12 Extreme Edition)

2. I was planning on upgrading to a X800XTPE 256MB, which would require a little bit more power than my cheap 350w that came with my 20$ case could handle. Or maybe it would have handled it fine, but I wanted to be safe.

Anyways, I installed the new heatsink and PSU at the same time, which was pretty stupid on my part because that's changing too many variables at once, thus making it harder to pinpoint the problem should one occur.

Well, a problem did occur. I put in the PSU (Fortron 400w) and installed the new heatsink, but I put on the heatsink backwards (it was a clip on one that could go either way, and the backwards way was more sturdy, and I didn't know it was backwards at the time...)

And yeah, now my system doesn't post. The mouse lights up, the heatsink fan starts spinning, my motherboard fan starts spinning, my video card fan starts spinning, and my case fan starts spinning.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Do you think my CPU died on me?

Also: The CPU still generated heat when the heatsink was on backwards. I unplugged the CPU fan plug, so that the fan wouldn't spin when I turned on the computer, to see if it would get hot, and it did, and the system shut itself down because it was too hot (like it usually does). I don't see how I could have fried the CPU, but then again, I might be wrong.

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom