RAM troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingAustin

Daemon Poster
My mobo has 4 RAM DIMMs, and I originally had it setup with one 512 in the first DIMM, and one in the third for dual channel. I recently got another gig (2x512) and tried putting them in. When I went to start my computer, nothing showed on screen so obviously the RAM wasnt working correctly.

I took out the 2 extra sticks, leaving the original configuration(1&3 slot). I tried booting up my computer, but same problem. So I took out the stick in the third slot leaving 1 512mb stick. Everything worked just fine. I was confused here, so I put the stick back in and it worked fine.

So after scratching my head for a second there, I decided to put the other sticks in one at a time. I start putting the next stick in the 4th slot, and I was pushing so hard it felt like my mobo was going to snap. The stick was even with the RAM next to it, but the bottom clip wasnt in the "clip slot". I decided to turn it on to see if it would work. It started up normal showing the periferals and memory total said 1500mb, so it recognized it, but right before windows booted up, it restarted.

I decided to remove the third stick, leaving the original configuration. I go to boot up, and no video shows up, so I take out the 3rd slot stick leaving me with 1 512mb stick...again. So, here I am confused as to what's going on. Any help is appreciated.

PS. I'm having one hell of a time getting this RAM to go in. I'll have the top part lined up, and then look at the bottom part, then start pushing, but the plastic edges make it so you have to be as precise as a freaking computer. It's taking me forever to get the RAM in, maybe someone could give a tip as to how to do it easier?

Thanks,
-Austin

Hmm...thats funky.

Some motherboard have a certain order in which you have to fill up the DIMM slots. If you do it outta order it goes all kamikaze on you lol. Look up your manual and see which order (if there is one) that you gotta fill up the DIMM slots.

As far as the fitting issue goes, some RAM varies in width and length. Not by much, but just enough to give those thin little DIMM slotted mobo's trouble. What kind of RAM is it? I would say as long as you're not sitting on the RAM to make it go in, then you're OK. Just be extra careful when you do install it.

EDIT: Also, some memory jsut doesn't work with other brands. It'd help to know what 2 kits you purchased. They might have compatibility issues. Especially if they are different type chips in each kit (say one is CH5 and the other us UTT, or BH5 and UTT, etc.) For best results (especially with 4 DIMMs filled) you wnat same brand, speed, voltage, timings, and chips in all sticks. But there are exceptions of course, some kits work fine with others.

4W4K3 said:
Hmm...thats funky.

Some motherboard have a certain order in which you have to fill up the DIMM slots. If you do it outta order it goes all kamikaze on you lol. Look up your manual and see which order (if there is one) that you gotta fill up the DIMM slots.

As far as the fitting issue goes, some RAM varies in width and length. Not by much, but just enough to give those thin little DIMM slotted mobo's trouble. What kind of RAM is it? I would say as long as you're not sitting on the RAM to make it go in, then you're OK. Just be extra careful when you do install it.

It's the Corsair Value select, I'll go check my manual.

Nope, the manual doesnt say anything about putting the memory in any order. Just talks about dual channel and different colors, which I already understood previously.

PZEROFGH said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128232

is the computer in your sig are we takling about so is this your mobo?

Yes that's the mobo I have.

4W4K3 said:

EDIT: Also, some memory jsut doesn't work with other brands. It'd help to know what 2 kits you purchased. They might have compatibility issues. Especially if they are different type chips in each kit (say one is CH5 and the other us UTT, or BH5 and UTT, etc.) For best results (especially with 4 DIMMs filled) you wnat same brand, speed, voltage, timings, and chips in all sticks. But there are exceptions of course, some kits work fine with others.

All 4 RAM sticks are 512mb of Corsair Value Select.

ok, i just read throught your manual on the gigabyte site, so you have 4 sticks of 512MB of corsair valueselect..is that right? or do you only have 2 sticks of it

EDIT; are you sure the ram you got isnt faulty. im guessing you alreayd did this but the top is kind of confusing

take out the 2 sticks that work
put in the 2 new sticks in the same spots the 2 old sticks were in boot up. works then thats good

try putting in three sticks i know dual channel wont work but do it anyways

boot up good

put it in all slots boot up

ok first try slot 1&3 then 2&4, and then you get 3 ram sticks try 1,2,3

i dont think im helping but either some of the ram is faulty, or the mobo memory stick thingy is faulty

**DID you do any OCing while you had the 2 original 512MB sticks in

PZEROFGH said:
ok, i just read throught your manual on the gigabyte site, so you have 4 sticks of 512MB of corsair valueselect..is that right? or do you only have 2 sticks of it

4 sticks total, but only one stick is installed right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom