A few Newbie Questions..about Building/upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_NO_Nothing

Baseband Member
So first let me start with abrief introduction. I am new into computer ( i have used them for years...) I have a Compaq Pesario 6000 with an AMD Athalon XP processor (1.6gig) I have 1 gig of RAM, An ati Radeon 9250 Video Card. Thas all of the upgrading i have done..i still have the stock 60 gig HD. Oh i also put a cooling fan in the Case to throw some air on the video card.

Anyhose just by doing these few simple upgrades i have found that i had fun doing this., and i have an interest in building my own machine from scratch or massivly upgrading the machine i have

Is the compaq pesario 6000 with amd xp processor a good machine to build upon??? Are ther anymore upgrades that gan be done to it? It will not recognize anymore memory then 1.0 gig

If i built my own machine...what would be a good starting point.
I don't know which components are compatible with others.

I am not an extreme gamer, my g/f and i do use the internet quite a bit. i do some photo/video...as i said...i want to build a good all around daily machine, that reliable, fast, and looks cool too....( i am a custom car junkie...soo i like bells and whistles.

Can you help me??
Any help appreciated

We can help you decide what components are compatable and what are best for you.

When you say you are not an extreme gamer, what gaming uses (if any) would you use this computer for.

And for the question of upgrading that machinne, it would be really hard to build upon your current machinne, it would be better to build a completly new one :)

well...in past i have played americas army operation flashpoint....ummm shoot em up type games....i don't have broadband...nor does it look like i will be able to afford at present...but perhaps in the future i may look into gaming more avidly.

i have heard really good things about the AMD processors...though my budget is limited.....soo i am not sure of what would be good for my needs ( as far a processors..mother boards and such....and i would like to add my own stand alone sound cards and video cards....instead of having on-board....i also listen to a lot of music on my computer, and i would like to operate my computer with wireless keyboard and mouse using my t.v. as the display and doing away with my monitor and computer desk.

Also to cut cost...i can snag the radeon 9250 from my compaq as this is supposed to support the use of a T.V. as a display. with composit video or s-cable.
I do know some stuff i am not completley retarted in the computer field.....i can do some simple tuning...keep in mind i am an automotive technician soo i have mechanical and electrical diagnostic abilites...though i am not qute sure...they pertain to the project at hand

for $1000 u will not be able to find alot on the market for your needs. I suggest either buying second hand parts, steal parts, or not go for a P4 computer. Maby look for a P3 as if you only neeed it for word proccessing and the internet this will do.

well $1000 usd for starters i know i will probably end up going over that....i was just throwing a number out....i just kind of need a list of basic things to start with (brands of components)

What age are you living in Hawk? I'm pretty sure you can get a good P4 (or AMD 64) system for $1000 lol. And his current pc is better than a P3 one.

Also, I could tell you the best components to buy, but i'm sure there are alot better around here than me at doing that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom