playing Halo on a supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Athlon5

In Runtime
how fast are super computers like IBM's RS/6000 SP supercomputer in MHZ or GHZ. and how much memory do they have, i know there totally different than desktop komputers, and that there really huge. but imagine running applications and playing games with a thing like that.

i bet the government guys probably play games on them...lol

what do they use these comps for anyway

supercomputers, mass networking i can tell your the military uses these to utilize or email service, the server rooms are FUGGIN huge, oh god, dreamy

Turbo-Athlon5 said:
wow i thought those server rooms were a bunch of regular computers working together tho, is this true?

Pretty much... this is the summary found at http://www.top500.org about Virginia Tech's X, a super computer powered by Apple:

The G5 cluster contains 1100 Apple G5 systems each having two IBM PowerPC 970 processors rated at 2 GHz. Each node has 4GB of main memory and 160GB of Serial ATA storage. 176TB total secondary storage. 4 head nodes for compilations/job startup. 1 Management node.

just think of your computer beside another computer beside another computer and so on, the only downside is that each computer doesnt add more speed like 3ghz + 3 ghz + 3ghz, it only does what it can and sends the info to other comps while other comps send info to that comp, just like dual CPU's it doesnt use it simultaneously, it switches every so often.

Yup, exactly right. These PCs aren't primarily built to maintain speed (although this is a thought, I'm sure)
But it is mainly workload.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom