Recommendations on first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtb2005

Baseband Member
Hello to everyone. Here's the situation:
I have been studying computer component prices and such for a few years. Recently I started getting into recreational video editing and want to build a pc. my main question is about the processor and which processor is the best value/performance for the money I am considering mild overclocking.

AMD 64 3000+ Venice core (Socket 939) $145
AMD 64 3200+ (Socket 939) $190
Intel P4 640 3.0 GHz (Socket T) $190

For your info:
1GB Dual Channel DDR 400 or 533 mem. ($100-125)
ATi X600Pro 256MB or X600 XT 128MB ($90-100)
160GB SATA II 7200RPM 8MB cache
Windows XP Pro x64bit
Raidmax Scorpio Case
MSI motherboard ($84)
Audigy 2 ZS sound card OEM ($50-60)
DVD+-RW 16x
(Feel free to comment on components...and, is this where i should post this?)

if you are video editing i woul go with a intel for some reason. if you are gaming i would go with the amd
dont get the x600pro
get the 6600GT-around 130-165 dollars
if you are OCing the MSI board is nice, but if you want to get a little more i would go with a DFI lanparty board
yes and you shuold post this here

guitarfreak yuo mean 6600GT i hope, ati is blowing this year.

EDIT: why are you trying to get an ati card? if you want an ati card go for a x800GT which is "supposbly" better then the 6600GT, just an option. or the x800xl which is about 50-100 dollars cheaper then the 6800GT, which i read reviews that its better, but i higly doubt that

uh, ok, so why do you want an ati card. you can get a pcie 6600GT for 130 dollars after rebate

Intel P4 640 3.0 GHz (Socket T) $190 <--processor is actually 180ish

eVGA 6600GT pcie - 130

are you going to be OCing if not then value ram is fine

corsair valueselect 1GB(512x2) - 98

mobo i dunno about mobo cause i dont go with intel

NEC IDE black/beige dvd burner - 41

Raidmax Scorpio Case - 45/50

Audigy 2 ZS sound card - 93

MSI 945P Neo-F Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - 123

Logitech MX510 931179-0403 2 tone 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - 28

Logitech Elite 967234-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys 19 Function Keys USB + PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard - 32

ENVISION EFT-720 Silver & Black 17" Pure Flat CRT Monitor 0.21mm(H), 0.25mm(D) Dot Pitch D-Sub - 97

Microsoft Windows XP Professional X64 Edition 1 package - 152

1029 you can change the mouse and the keyboard to save you some money, and also i didnt know how big of a monitor you wanted, you can go with a nice 17in one for less then 250 dollars which would probably bring you down under budget of around 1100 dollars

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3160827AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - 89 dollars

1118 dollars...you can change the monitor and there are cheaper hdds but im trying to give you the best of the best, the soundcard is a bit expensive..??

Logitech X-230 32 Watts 2.1 Speaker - 34

1152 is your total which leaves 50 dollars for shipping and tax, if applicable

i tried about 3 different monitors but all go above 1200, so if you want a nice monitor you will ahve to go over your budget, this monitor is nice, probably the best for your money, i looked at LCDs but once i added them in they went over, so the choice is yours.

I'm an ATI fan through and through and I can tell you right now that the smart thing to do is to get an NVidia card until ATI decides to put on their A-game and putting out some competitive cards. I take no pleasure in saying that, but it's true.

ATI has some serious catching up to do right now because they're getting slapped around by nVidia in almost every respect. nVidia has had their dual video card chipset, the nForce 4 SLI, out for quite some time now. The nForce 4 SLI allows either 1 video card to run at 16x or two video cards to run at 8x for an overall performance increase. nVidia's going to be releasing a new variant of the chipset that will let two video cards both run at 16x, and ATI hasn't even gotten around to releasing their dual 8x vid card "Crossfire" equivalent yet.

And currently, only nVidia's cards support SmartShader 3 and a dual video card interface (SLI). Although games right now currently don't make use of SS3, the inclusion of it on nVidia's cards mean that if you buy one now then you won't have to upgrade to a card with SS3 when games start including it. ATI's cards, if I'm not mistaken, are still stuck with the first version of SmartShader.

Regardless of if the ATI X800 GT beats out the nVidia 6600 GT in benchmarks, I'd still go with the 6600 GT and get a good, solid motherboard to go with it. I'd give you some motherboard recommendations, but a Pentium processor is probably what you want to go with if you want to do video work and such. I'm really an AMD kind of guy, and I'm not knowledgeable about Socket T motherboards. Just remember to get some good cooling to go with your processor, because the Pentiums do tend to run very hot.

Hope that helps.

yup yup yup nvidia is doing much better then ati this year. im not to much of a socket T knowledgable eithher, thats why i picked out a resonable msi mobo, prescotts are know to be ovens :p and venices are knows to be fridges. lol. put a couple of case fans and you will be down to the freezer, maybe a zalman 7700cu. or a thermalright? xp-120 heatsink and a nice thermaltake 120mm fan. i dont think you could have said it anymore better then stryker

mtb2005 said:
Hello to everyone. Here's the situation:
I have been studying computer component prices and such for a few years. Recently I started getting into recreational video editing and want to build a pc. my main question is about the processor and which processor is the best value/performance for the money I am considering mild overclocking.

AMD 64 3000+ Venice core (Socket 939) $145
AMD 64 3200+ (Socket 939) $190
Intel P4 640 3.0 GHz (Socket T) $190

For your info:
1GB Dual Channel DDR 400 or 533 mem. ($100-125)
ATi X600Pro 256MB or X600 XT 128MB ($90-100)
160GB SATA II 7200RPM 8MB cache
Windows XP Pro x64bit
Raidmax Scorpio Case
MSI motherboard ($84)
Audigy 2 ZS sound card OEM ($50-60)
DVD+-RW 16x
(Feel free to comment on components...and, is this where i should post this?)

For video editing, I do recomend Intel. They are higher peformance, but some people's moral's may stop them buying from an evil company, but all my clothes comes from foreign sweat shops though :rolleyes:

If you do get an intel, get one of the ones with 2 MB L2 cache as it really helps in video editing.

Their is no reason to get an Nvidia card, unless your are gaming. The ATI's even have a slightly better image quality. However for video editing, I recomend you get a card that handles dual screen's, as once you do dual screen you wont go back :beard:

160 gig would not cut it for me, if I was video editing. I would need at least 250 :p

Raidmax case, you better get a new power supply for the case. I had a raidmax PSU from an raidmax 868 case, and it burned :D

Motherboard, no matter which way you are going, you should probolly look at a good motherboard. I am guessing you were assuming you would do an AMD build and planned on getting an MSI K8N Neo2.

If your going intel, I can say the Asus boards are a good buy, as well as Intel branded boards (Asus would be better). But, DO NOT BUY ASUS MOTHERBOARDS FOR AMD procesors, as their lacking in this part of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom