CD-ROM Hell!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitsu

Baseband Member
I recently built a new comp and have had this problem ever since. People at various companies and countless forums cannot help me.

The problem:

My cd rom will install and play off any cd thats put into it and I can also properly view what is in the drive.

When a program tries to detect the drive (such as a game that requires the cd to be in the drive, or also my cd-copier software) It does not detect the drive.

In device manager it says that the drive is working properly. Everything says that the drive is working properly except when the programs try to access it.

Whats the problem?

you can get a CD Rom drive for as little a 20 bux up here in Canada, Is it worth the hassle? Have you tried a different CD Rom drive?

Drives:
CD-RW Drive... NEC NR-7900A
DVD-RW Drive...TDK 840G
Both of these do everything else perfect but read game cd's that are in their drives when the game checks to see if the cd is in the drive.

I have two HD's hooked up on the primary IDE cable slot on my mobo. The slave drive is my old HD from my old system, it still has Windows XP and everything installed on it. The main HD was freshly formatted.

Connection:
On IDE port two, master side of cable. Nothing else on this cable. I have two CD drives but only the NEC has power/IDE cable's to it. Jumper Pin = Master Setting.

Software Sh1t:
In device manager the drive is detected and it is said to be working correctly.
I can read whatever is on the disk's thru my computer.
When I insert a CD the autorun always makes the CD start up.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-7n400 PRO2
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Reinstalled the games numerous times and did a HD format and windows re-install last night to no avail.

MicroBell said:
Ok..so you have 2 HD's connected to IDE1 and 2 CDRWS (CDRW/DVD CDRW) connected to IDE 2 as 1 master...1 slave...but only have 1 connected now. What happens if you remove the slave HD from IDE1? Have you tryed another IDE cable on the IDE2 port? Is DMA mode..enabled on both the CDRW's? Is Autorun enabled for both drives?

It's also not advisable to use a CDRW and DVD RW on the same IDE cable. Try useing the CDRW (Set as Slave) on IDE1. Move that HD to Master on IDE2 and slave the DVDRW on IDE2.

The cables are not long enough to put 1 HD and one CD drive on teh same cable.

I tried disconnecting the slave HD to see if the CD would read then.. but this was not the solution.

Autoplay is enabled... Whats DMA?

I'll try another IDE cable, but I dont thing this is the problem because the CD drives do everything correct but play the games.

what does ttt mean??? I have always wondered!

Could it be the IDE Cable?

ADZ said:
you can get a CD Rom drive for as little a 20 bux up here in Canada, Is it worth the hassle? Have you tried a different CD Rom drive?

where can u get a cd burner for about 20, thats brand name, around hamilton/toronto region.

i know where i can get a 52x LITE-ON burner for 50 OEM.

right now i got a nice HP burner but its only 8x tho. never ruined a cd yet, i use to have an AOPEN 12x and that thing made successfully 4cds out of 10 what a piece of shittt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom