hard drive capacity - not actually 200 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
you don't need to do that. even though you've installed SP4 now, it won't change the already formatted hard drive space. go to srart, run and run "diskmgmt.msc"
there you can format the rest of the drive, and you can merge it using a program like Partition Magic

alright well i'm at home now, and i went to disk management but I can't format the rest of the drive...here are my options:

so I decided to go ahead and reformat it with the new CD i slipstreamed sp4 with. It is currently formatting the drive and still only says there's about 127GB's on it. Maybe when its done with the 127 it will recognize the other 50 or so, but who knows...as of now it doesn't look like that worked

OKay, first off what does it show the drive being in bios? Thats the most important thing. If it doesn't show it properly in bios then the problem is A: they didn't sell you the correct drive or B: you're bios doesn't support it. Now, as far as supporting the formating in by right clicking in disk management the reason you can't do this is because it is the system drive. From what I've read you wanted to keep you're original HDD as the system drive and this as storage/swap file. If thats the case, then you're best bet is to boot and fdisk and wipe out all partitions. After that boot into windows (with you're system HDD in) and go back into disk management, scan for the HDD and then format it. Check the bios first, though. You wont get anywhere if its not found correctly in there.

killians45 said:
OKay, first off what does it show the drive being in bios? Thats the most important thing. If it doesn't show it properly in bios then the problem is A: they didn't sell you the correct drive or B: you're bios doesn't support it. Now, as far as supporting the formating in by right clicking in disk management the reason you can't do this is because it is the system drive. From what I've read you wanted to keep you're original HDD as the system drive and this as storage/swap file. If thats the case, then you're best bet is to boot and fdisk and wipe out all partitions. After that boot into windows (with you're system HDD in) and go back into disk management, scan for the HDD and then format it. Check the bios first, though. You wont get anywhere if its not found correctly in there.

yeah i was going to say that earlier. My bios is showing a 203GB hard drive. I have no idea why its 3GB over what it says, but it is. So I know that it couldn't be a wrong drive or my bios.

all this is just getting worse. When i tried to reformat the cd, I got a stop error. The setup for windows didn't even finish, and i think windows tried to load only once (the other times it went to the stop error).

would my best bet to be put my old hard drive in and load up windows, then format my new 200gb hard drive completely? For some reason my windows installs aren't working any more. It might be a driver error or something, but last night the windows install worked. So i don't know whats going on. I'm heading out for the night but when i get back i'm probably just going to put in my old hdd and format my new hdd from there

the DFI NF4 Ultra-D will support drives over the approx 137,000,000,000 Byte (127GB) limit, it is a recent board.

if you have SP4, you should be able to format the rest of the drive.
just make sure you have SP4 installed (if that's Windows 2k) (right click on My Computer, and go to properties)
if noit, then I can recommend you get XP with at least SP1.

apokalipse said:
the DFI NF4 Ultra-D will support drives over the approx 137,000,000,000 Byte (127GB) limit, it is a recent board.

if you have SP4, you should be able to format the rest of the drive.
just make sure you have SP4 installed (if that's Windows 2k) (right click on My Computer, and go to properties)
if noit, then I can recommend you get XP with at least SP1.

yeah i dunno why sp4 didn't recognize the rest of the space. When i tried reformatting the drive, I got some fatal stop error, and windows didn't install correctly. This happened twice now.

the error i got was this: 0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which seems like it is some sort of hardware failure or driver problem? i don't think its my motherboard because it loads up when i restart my computer. could it possibly be a ram failure or something of that sort? This sucks...

EDIT: Well I just hooked up my 2nd hard drive, and for some reason after that it worked. I dunno if its just coincidence (since its doing nothing), but as of now the installation of windows 2000 is finishing up.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a driver problem.

well, it's good to see you got it working. I can't see why it wouldn't work when you installed SP4 first though.

and it couldn't have been a RAM problem. if it was a RAM problem, the system would have generated random crashes, or not boot at all.

apokalipse said:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a driver problem.

well, it's good to see you got it working. I can't see why it wouldn't work when you installed SP4 first though.

and it couldn't have been a RAM problem. if it was a RAM problem, the system would have generated random crashes, or not boot at all.

Ok, now it is picking up the extra 60Gb's. That was really weird, b/c it wasn't seeing the extra space right after i reformatted, but then i just checked again this morning and it was there. So thanks to everyone who helped, I'm gunna format that extra space. Should I just leave it as a weird 130/60 GB partition or join them together? Or would it be logical to create a 5GB primary partition and install windows on that, then uninstall the windows I have on the 130GB partition? could i do that?

You can use 5gb for the OS and create an extended/logical partition for your back data so that way if your OS has to be formated again you still have the other partition where your back is.

BASSMASTER said:
2. [...]The revision of motherboard can be checked from the lower right corner of label affixed on printer port. For aged motherboards, please find the label on the last ISA slot. You can take the first digit after "R." as PCB Revision. For example, the PCB revision is "A" if the revision of motherboard is marked as "R.AG0". [...]

do i have to do all these updates on this page? http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl...TYPE=LP&INDEX_TYPE=null&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

and also, if i update it now, and if i happen to reformat my hard drive, I wouldn't have to update it again would i? And what would happen if i updated the bios with the wrong one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom