LCD Monitor Problem! URGENT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
vaderpro said:
-Make sure you u play those games in native resolution. (1280x1024)
-Make sure u uninstall old and install newest ati drivers
-Make sure you leave refresh rate at monitor's suggested level or you could damage it
-Turn on v-sync in games like HL2 and let us know if better
-Or turn on v-sync through card settings

-Allright, so I should play all my games at the native resolution? How do I know what that is? The resolution it started with or the resolution I'm at? When I first installed the monitor the resolution was 800x600. I changed it to 1024x768 since thats the resolution Im more comfortable with. I play all my games at 800x600 resolution though.

-Yeah, new drivers already installed.

-Well, the monitors default refresh rate is 60Hz. I haven't changed the refresh rate, it's still at 60hz.

-How do I turn on Vsync in-game? I don't see any Vsync option in the "Video Option" menu of the games(Games are Day Of Defeat and Counter-Strike 1.6). Is there a command or something I could do in-game to check if Vsync is on or off?

-Don't understand your last suggestion

Thanks for all the help so far. PLEASE keep it coming guys. Please..

just letting you know when you said this:
CPU SPECS:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Abit KV8 Pro Via-K8T800 MotherBoard
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb Video Card
512 mb Kingston DDR-400 PC3200 RAM
Maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB S-ATA Hard Drive
Orion 420Watt PowerSupply
2 8x8 Case Sleeve Fans
Sony 16x DVD-Drive
NEX 8x +/- DVD-RW Drive
1.44MB Floppy Drive
Tempature/Thermal Meter
6 In 1 Card Reader
1 Blue Cold-Cathode Neon Light

you said those are your cpu specs.. when in reality that isnt your cpu.. your cpu is your
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
cpu= central processing unit
^_^ sry.. i had to point this out.. it annoys for some unknown reason

Trotter said:
Picky, picky...

No kidding.....anyways, vsync sycronizes frames between your video card and your LCD. It gets rid of what is called "tearing" in games. To me its distorted images/jagged walls and lines across the screen.....Here's a definition:

Tearing: If you detach the displaying of an image from the V-Sync, the images will be sent to the monitor as they are ready even if the previous one is still completing. This is tearing, that is trembling or cut images, but also an increase of the framerate, as there are no waiting times.

You can either turn it on in the game settings or on your card settings. I noticed you have it off in your card settings. I would like you to turn it on and see if you notice a difference. The drawback of v-sync is that you lose FPS (frames per second). So, that is why it is best to control it through individual games that you notice the problem, rather than having it on all the time, which will decrease FPS in all your games. I know there is no option for it in BF2, but there is in HL2. It solved the issues i was having when i turned it on. I currently play BF2 so I leave v-sync on cause Id rather have quality video than more FPS.....did that make sense?

Next: ALL LCDS ONLY WORK PROPERLY AT THEIR NATIVE RESOLUTIONS! Your monitors native resolution is 1280x1024. This means your desktop and games should be set at this level or the picture will not look right. So put your games at that res and sit closer to the screen and enjoy better graphics.

Dude;

From experience, running anything at 60 Hz, beit a CRT or LCD - you'll get flickering. Lower refresh rates produces a lower quality picture.

Think of it this way, at 60Hz you’re refreshing the screen 60 times per second, at 75 Hz you are refreshing 75 times per second. Thus, you’re getting a smoother picture, less flickering – in all, better quality.

Since your CPU and other hardware seem to be fairly good – increase the refresh rate as high as your monitor supports (LCD Monitors range from 60-85 Hz). 75 seems to work well. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

htcs said:
Dude;

From experience, running anything at 60 Hz, beit a CRT or LCD - you'll get flickering. Lower refresh rates produces a lower quality picture.

Think of it this way, at 60Hz you’re refreshing the screen 60 times per second, at 75 Hz you are refreshing 75 times per second. Thus, you’re getting a smoother picture, less flickering – in all, better quality.

Since your CPU and other hardware seem to be fairly good – increase the refresh rate as high as your monitor supports (LCD Monitors range from 60-85 Hz). 75 seems to work well. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

I will argue this point becuase LCDs are built different than CRts, they dont need high refresh rates. I use mine at 60 hz, with no issues and Viewsonic does not recommend i change it to 75hz.

yes, LCD's are built different from CRT's. they have lower refresh rates.
that means they were never the best for gaming.
set the refresh rate as high as it supports.

I think LCDs refresh differently than CRTs too. CRTs scan to refresh, but I beleive LCDs do it all at once (thats why they appear "whole" on TV). Personally, I can't tell the difference between 75 and 60 on a CRT, let alone on an lcd that never flickers. They have other issues with gaming besides refresh rates. If act, one might argue that they could be better for gaming because of refresh rates, as they allow you to use V-Sync and get more then refresh rate FPS more easily.

EDIT to actually be on topic:
I would second the recommendations to get drivers for the monitor. I think that one of the tings they do is ensure that you don't set the refresh are out of spec.
To clear somethign up, it is fien to run LCDs at non-native resolutions. 1280x1024 is a very high resolution,a nd your preforamnce will suffer accordinly. If your card can't cut it running that high, a low refresh rate will be the least of your smoothness problems. When you run LCDs at their not netive, it is neaither bad nor good from them. You simply have to deal with scaling, which means that the monitor stretches (or scales) the image it recieves to its notive res. Sometimes this can end up looking bad (like on my laptop), but with newer monitors it is not really a problem.

digitaloracle said:
EDIT to actually be on topic:
I would second the recommendations to get drivers for the monitor. I think that one of the tings they do is ensure that you don't set the refresh are out of spec.
To clear somethign up, it is fien to run LCDs at non-native resolutions. 1280x1024 is a very high resolution,a nd your preforamnce will suffer accordinly. If your card can't cut it running that high, a low refresh rate will be the least of your smoothness problems. When you run LCDs at their not netive, it is neaither bad nor good from them. You simply have to deal with scaling, which means that the monitor stretches (or scales) the image it recieves to its notive res. Sometimes this can end up looking bad (like on my laptop), but with newer monitors it is not really a problem. [/B]

True, maybe I misled him. It is not hard on the monitor, to have them in non-native but you will lose picture quality, thats all...and yes, your card has to be able to handle the 1280x1024. However, even newer LCDs have this problem, that is a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom