help with memory specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven1110

Baseband Member
Over the last month I've been trying to learn as much as I can about computers and what everything means but I've hit a dead spot. As I was reading about overclocking, an article said that the success of an overclock really depends on the memory. I've seen posts that said cas latency is important along with a set of numbers about 5 digits long. I suppose these are settings in bios that you can change to increase the stability of memory while oc'ing.
My question is: Is there anybody out there who can give me a good explanation or a good website about what I'm looking at?
Also I haven't been able to find any info about my memory. I went to the ultra website but they didn't have any info either.

Thanks in advance.

From what i understand you are correct about overclocking, you cant actually over clock the processor speed, as intel and AMD stopped that quite a few years ago, the only thing that you can overclock is the FSB speed, your ram which works in direct conjunction has to be able to handle the FSB speed, if the FSB is 800MhZ then you have to have ram able to handle 800MhZ fsb which would be ddr3200 if i am correct, the CAS latency is based upon the MhZ and processor signal speed (BUS speed) and the ablility of the RAM to utlilize the process, where registered ram vs unbuffered ram comes into play and the faster rams which directly affect CAS latency, i think this should give you a good idea, try the search function i just read a good article about it recently which was an slideshow at the CORSAIR website, good luck

I haven't been able to read the articles in detail yet but they seem to answer most questions. However I do have one minor one: since I'm running pc2700 ram (333) that doesn't mean that I can't exceed that setting while oc'ing my fsb. The memory would be able to handle more than that 333 right?

Some notes on RAM latency times:
Imagine your RAM as being a grid with Rows and Columns. The intersection of these rows/columns are your memory location.

Those latency times RAS/CAS mean Row Address Strobe/ Column Address Strobe.

These are gate time expressed in number of clock pulses required to access a certain row/column address and are designed in the memory itself. High quality memory will have lower latency times, thus will take a shorter time to access information to be processed.

Nowadays, mobos will detect and adjust those times to a default value. Depending on your hardware, the BIOS may or may not allow you to change these settings. Note that changing those below their minimum values will prevent your computer from booting up and you will have to reset your BIOS.

If you have more than one stick of RAM and they have different latency values, your computer will ALWAYS use the higher latency timing since these strobes are sent simultaneously to all sticks along with an enable signal which will turn on the proper one.

Not being an O/C'er myself, I'm not sure if increasing your FSB would increase your maximum RAM speed supported by your MOBO so I can't help you there but I'm sure some other poeple will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom