Upgrade Question urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

PZEROFGH

Golden Master
if i upgrade my mobo, and my mobo only i would have to buy a whole new harddrive and i cant use my old one sense it alreayd has windows xp home alreayd installed on it, is that true...

EDIT: what happens if i upgrade my cpu only, would it still work.
i know my video card will still work and ram will still work but would mobo work...??

Upgrading a CPU as long as it's the same socket would be fine with no changes to the HDD or Operating system.

Swapping out a curent MOBO with a new MOBO in my experience means that you must reinstall windows. Due to the difference in MOBO drivers.

May-be someone else has something different to say?

im definatly not sure but it dosent sound right to me... couldnt the motherboard boot from the hard drive being it already has an os?

and if you upgraded only processor, it should work as long as it is the right socket size.

Havoc is right

You could still swap motherboard's and boot from the remaining operating system, but the install is screwed up to hell.

Your performance will be down the toilet if you change out your motherboard and not reformat. not only that, but you probably will have driver and hardware conflicts up the wazoo if you don't re-install windows. it would work, but you would be an idiot if you didnt' reformat.

so the only way to upgrade my mobo is reformatting it once i install the new mobo, oh whew, i thought i would have to buy a new harddrive or something, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom