CRT Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattLee

Beta member
Anyone built a computer inside of a CRT Monitor case? I'm a pretty knowledged builder and was considering doing it with some cheap components with just enough to surf the web, pretty much intailing for the average user.

Just curious as to any suggestions you'd have other than to not kill myself in the process of gutting it. :)

I highly advise that you do not open up any old CRT monitor and start randomly pulling parts out unless you are a qualified electrician. CRTs will have capacitators that will hold large (fatal) charges for long periods of time

Heyyo,

Indeed, you'll wanna rtfm and try to find out how to discharge the crt first. Then you should be safe as long as you do it right that is.

Now, monitor's are pretty big, but I dunno if it's wide enough for a full atx mobo, so you might have to go with micro-atx.

Now, depending on the make, you might need to level out the inside to make it easier for the back plugins. I'm sure a basic soldering job with some sheetmetal, or weilding it on there would work too I guess, would be good enough to hold that.

Ooh, man that would be fancy for the viewsing screen to get that converted into a window, lol, dude, this would be a sweet mod, I bet a samsung monitor would be awesome since they have lots of holes in them which would light up nice with some led sticks, or maybe convert some into fan grills.. man you could do soo much with this mod, once you're done post pics! I wanna see your creation now! :D

Wait: do you still want to have the CRT screen work, or just have a computer in the monitors case?

i have a friend tha this dad stuck a i believe an LCD monitor on the computer case so the side is the monitor, so all you have to do is bring the big case around and the monitor is alreayd on the side

i think what you should do is gut the thing and then mount an lcd of the appropriate size where the class part of the crt once was then have a computer inside of it now that would be sick

lcd and comp in a crt

Yes, I had planned on dividing the budget to propogate for a nice LCD.

I think it would just be a cool mod and something fun to show the kids in my tech class, Everyone in there's a /\/00l3 but me pretty much.

I am a bit scared to start busting the monitor, I don't want to be peeing blood for the coming months or year..o_O...Much less die for that matter. I'm going to calculate my available budget so I can make sure this is actually worth the time doing. Might have to save up for my Xbox 360 to mod it...Heh...

Anyways, How do you guys think this would work in terms of an $800.00 budget? Worth it? What about the weight?

(Note I've already got a deticated cash supply for my godlieh Gaming LAN pc, so I don't have trouble with just a living room pc for site browsing.

gaara said:
I highly advise that you do not open up any old CRT monitor and start randomly pulling parts out unless you are a qualified electrician. CRTs will have capacitators that will hold large (fatal) charges for long periods of time

Upwards of 20,000 volts held for 4-5 hours after monitor is off.

Seeing as little as 30 volts can be fatal for a human being under the right conditions of human resistance, I wouldn't play around with 666.66 times that voltage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom