Can MotherBoard Kill Harddrives???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotReview

Beta member
Hey I am trying to build a AMD-K62 system for fun and networking.

However, I have gone through like 5 of my older hard drives all with errors in the Windows installation.

So i am wondering ((It is possible they are all bad)) if it is not my MOBO that is causing the problems.

THE PROBLEMS are similar -- I am getting alot of GENERAL PROTECTION FAULTS where it tells me to REBOOT OVER and OVER again,,,, and I also got one where WHEN WINDOWS is installing and
when it gets to the point that it REBOOTS, that it DOESNT come back up again! Its just KEEPS rebooting and getting stuck OR it will take me to the SAFE MODE screen but even CHOOSING that option most of the time causes a REBOOT.

I am on my fifth Harddrive and was just beginning to REINSTALL WINDOWS again, but thought I would ask....

anyone?

Oh ya, I have for almost all of the drives, FDISKed and ALL OF THEM I REformatted.

--- ********* One last point...my PROCESSOR FAN STINKS!!! At first all I had on their was a HEAT SINK -- (SOMETHING IDIOTIC I MUST HAVE DONE AT SOMETIME OR OTHER -- I HAVE ALOT OF PARTS LYING AROUND) -- which caused SEVERAL FREEZE UP's before I realized that the CPU was getting to friggin HOT! So I found the FAN that i think was ON IT before but it is VERY NOISY and VERY SLOW -- so it is possible the CPU is still getting very hot.....SO COULD THIS BE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEMS??

thanks!
t

i would try the hdds on another pc to confirm their badness. Probably just a bad mother board and the HDDs may still be good.

when the computer first starts press delete and enter bios, make sure your hard drive config is good, do you have the HDD set to slave or master?

try turning it to manual, then select the 3 1/2 bay it is in, my friend had the same problem, except he had it on auto but he had it reading the 1.44mb disc drive, instead of the HDD has the harddrives been formatted yet? That is the first this you have to do with them before use.

+++ BTW the HDD's are set to master correct?

Ya, they have been fdisked and foprmatted and some of them needed to be on master , but not all models, some need to be on Cable Select or some need to have no jumpers period.

but I know it was reading the drive so thats not the issue, but thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom