Problem with fresh install of WinXP Pro with SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilhanth

Solid State Member
I've just done a brand new fresh install of Windows XP Professional (with SP2) and my mouse and keyboard keep freezing at random moments for a few seconds at a time.

What's even weirder is that Windows will sometimes even freeze all together and it's just the mouse and keyboard that haven't!?!?! It's still possible to switch between programs, but all of which have frozen, and I can't open extra programs.....not even the start menu!?!

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, has anyone got a solution?

Thanks in advance!

SP2 is the bane of us all! D:

heh. but really, it's either a conflict in the device manager or maybe your IDE cable to the harddrive is a slow one. if you built the computer yourself, that is.

more than likely some hardware conflict though.

ok i'll have a look in device manager.......

It's a SATA hdd btw.......so no IDE cable! :)

EDIT:
What exactly am I looking for in device manager?
.....and where?

Nilhanth said:
ok i'll have a look in device manager.......

It's a SATA hdd btw.......so no IDE cable! :)

EDIT:
What exactly am I looking for in device manager?
.....and where?

just right click on "my computer", go to the hardware tab, then device manager, and look for any colors lol

blue red black or yellow exclamation points means theres a problem

BASSMASTER said:
just right click on "my computer", go to the hardware tab, then device manager, and look for any colors lol

blue red black or yellow exclamation points means theres a problem
I know how to get to device manager!!! lol

I just wasn't sure what I was looking for inside device manager........ but thanks for the colour tips!

Actually wouldnt any exclamation point be an error? Since i dont have any ! at all i would think so. Anyways it might be you mouse and keyboard drivers. Have you downloaded new ones? It might be the ones on your CD are Pre SP2 while you are installing SP2 and it is causing a problem. Might want to try some new drivers for them and see if anything works.

well I've had a look at every single component, and none of them have any conflicts or problems!

Any other ideas?

Have you tried the software upgrade for you mouse and keyboard? Are they USB? Maybe you are having issues with USB not running correctly.

Makaveli213 said:
Have you tried the software upgrade for you mouse and keyboard? Are they USB? Maybe you are having issues with USB not running correctly.
To be prefectly honest, I think it's something more serious than keyboard/mouse drivers because the whole of windows freezes at times, and I can't do anything.

First, it freezes temporarily a few times, then windows freezes completely after a while and I have to reset!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom