HD swapped in, won't detect all partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerZero

Baseband Member
Okay, I have an interesting little problem. I've got an old Presario with a 20G hard drive running XP. I want more space, but as I'm a relatively broke college student, I can't even afford the cheapest of new hard drives - so I scavanged an even older Packard Bell I had laying around with an 8G hard drive, divided into four equal-sized partitions. I took it out and put it in the Presario. When I boot up, the BIOS says it detects a 20G drive and an 8G drive. Good. But then once I get into Windows Explorer, it says I've got my 20G drive, and a 2G drive. It's only detecting the first of the four partitions on the second hard drive. What's up?

Dunno if it'll help, but here's some basic info (I'll list pretty much everything, since I don't know what might be useful to know):

Compaq Presario 5000, circa 1999-2000

750MHz AMD Duron
320Mb RAM
20G hard drive, FAT32 (plus the 8G, of course, though I'm not sure if it's FAT16 or FAT32)
8Mb nVidia TNT2 video card
16x DVD-ROM drive
8x CD-RW drive

The other one was:

Packard Bell Legend 20CD, circa 1994-1995

486, 133MHz (upgraded from 486DX2 66MHz chip)
24MB RAM
8G hard drive (well, it used to) running Windows 95 SP2
1MB generic video card
52x CD-ROM

I think I switched the jumpers to "slave" setting properly - if I hadn't, I don't think it would detect it at all, but I could well be wrong.

I have to go, but the only thing I can think of is if you used FDISK, and created your Logical drives without creating the exteded partition first.

I don't even know if FDISK will let you do that, but if it did, that would make sense as to your problem.

Resolution is easy, just re-run fdisk and make sure you creat your primary, extended, then logical.

Ah . . . yes, I did use FDISK! Okay, that makes sense. I remember it being a pain, and not being sure that I did it quite right - that was several years ago. I've got PartitionMagic now, and I'll see how that works. Thanks for the help!

go to start, run and run "diskmgmt.msc"
from there, delete your 2GB partition (making sure you have all you want/need off it) and then remake it, except with the full 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom