somethign you can try is this...

open a cmd window. Then type the following
msiexec.exe /unregester (hit enter)
msiexec.exe /regserver (hit enter)

then reboot your machine.

see if that does anything for you.
Then look at the path variables on your machine. open a new cmd window and type
set (hit enter)

this will print out all of your env settings. If you see anything with %%, you have a problem there.

What program are you installing? is it a setup.exe or is there a .msi file with it?

Is it that you are having trouble installing the drivers from the CD for you USB Card? Does the found new hardware wizard pop up at all? You can have the hardware wizard find the drivers so you dont have to run them off the CD. Some CD installers dont work and crash and you have to install the drivers a different way.

Inaris said:
somethign you can try is this...

open a cmd window. Then type the following
msiexec.exe /unregester (hit enter)
msiexec.exe /regserver (hit enter)

then reboot your machine.

see if that does anything for you.
Then look at the path variables on your machine. open a new cmd window and type
set (hit enter)

this will print out all of your env settings. If you see anything with %%, you have a problem there.

What program are you installing? is it a setup.exe or is there a .msi file with it?

I will try that when i get home. and all installers (.exe) photoshop wont install at all.it wont even start every thing just instanly crashes.:(

Makaveli213 said:
Is it that you are having trouble installing the drivers from the CD for you USB Card? Does the found new hardware wizard pop up at all? You can have the hardware wizard find the drivers so you dont have to run them off the CD. Some CD installers dont work and crash and you have to install the drivers a different way.
tried that and as i said before it is any type of install software and drivers.

Oh my god i am stupid i just realized this.Ok i am in pc support this year meaning that i am working with the system admin of my school.I will ask her, hopefully she will know.

It sounds like the Installer is corrupt. Check you add/remove programs and click the show updates. It might have updated your installer to 3.1. If so try uninstalling that update to roll it back basically to the older version and see if that helps solve the problem. At least in XP it is up to 3.1 with the new Windows Update and all.

try blocking installashield updates too (even though you should install the new version). For some reason when I went to install drivers for my nvidia nvtv hardware capture card (after like a few formats), I couldn't . I got a tip to do that. when I blocked them for checking for update with my new nvidia firewall, I could now install without problem

matt2m said:
but i have no updates yet i cant even get the internet yet on 2000.

How stupid of me. I was just reading in my new DFI mobo book and it said you need SP4 to have usb 2.0 work with windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom