Unknown shutdowns... Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xvnutjobvx

Beta member
I have a thermaltake aluminum case. With like 8 fans. My CPU temperature is 78 degrees Celcius according to the BIOS monitor (is that high)? Well my real problem lies in the computer keeps shutting itself down. No warnings nothing. It's as if pulled the plug and i press the power button and it comes right back up. It doesn't show any pattern its random. Sometimes won't happen for the whole day sometimes 4-5 times a day. It's being goin on for 2 weeks. Can someone tell me if they ever heard of such a problem?

Yeah dude .. that is quite a high temperature ... N' i'm pretty sure that's the reason for ur system shutting down ..
Check if the fans are running properly..Or upgrade to a better Fan

you dont want a temp over 60 really. 50 is ieal, 55 is common.

Did you build this computer? What type of processor does it have? What heatsink/fan do you have on it? What thermal compound did you use to attatch it?

ALso .. the heatsink compound should not be applied as a thick layer .. a thin layer should be good enough

Check for the speeds the Cpu fan is at

with 8 fans 78 is high make sure all your fans are working and you have all the fans going in proper directions ie: having a complete air flow

Thanks guys

First i'm going to get a new tube of silicon and put the heat sink on again because i remember i put it on the first time and i had to take it off after like 10 minutes because i forgot to put the temperature probe in under the CPU. The silicon was starting to dry when i put it back on but i had the computer running flawlessly for about 3 months now and it just started shutting down on me. I just changed the chassis fan setup. The CPU heatsink and fan is a big copper fan from Zalman. It's huge. The fan spins at around 2600 RPM according to the BIOS. I noticed that my video card gives off a lot of heat. Its a Radeon 9800 XT 256MB. So i'll play around with different things and i'll see. Thanks alot guys!

Re: Thanks guys

xvnutjobvx said:
First i'm going to get a new tube of silicon and put the heat sink on again because i remember i put it on the first time and i had to take it off after like 10 minutes because i forgot to put the temperature probe in under the CPU. The silicon was starting to dry when i put it back on but i had the computer running flawlessly for about 3 months now and it just started shutting down on me. I just changed the chassis fan setup. The CPU heatsink and fan is a big copper fan from Zalman. It's huge. The fan spins at around 2600 RPM according to the BIOS. I noticed that my video card gives off a lot of heat. Its a Radeon 9800 XT 256MB. So i'll play around with different things and i'll see. Thanks alot guys!

Use a thermal compound such as arctic silver 5.

I used a product called Arctic Silver Ceramique Premium High-Density Thermal Compound. It has worked great, lower my average temps almost 10 degrees C (over thermal pad)..plus it's less electrically conductive (almost non-conductive).

It's a little thicker than most thermal compunds, but it's pretty easy to spread.

Best thermal grease for AMD and Intel

You should be using SPECTRA COOL thermal grease for standard clocking or OC. It is electrically non-conductive as well as non-capacitive. You will not short out your CPU if you accidentally get some where it shouldn't be. SPECTRA COOL is much safer than silver grease yet it equals or exceeds it in cooling capacity.

You can find it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom