Adding RAM: 1GB -> 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,
Howabout we squash this whole "Hola cyber pimps" thing once and for all... From now on, since this seems to really bother some folks, I'll open my posts with "Hola cyber pimps (NOTE: If you are NOT a cyber pimp or prefer not to be labeled as one then I was not referring to you, I apologize profusely, and I meant no disrespect)"
P.S. Thanks a lot to everyone who simply answered my question and offered some help. I appreciate it and I'm really thinking about the 6800 GT.

It sounds like he wants the X800XT All In Wonder card. Possibly just likes ATI, or may-be he wants a good card with a TV tuner.

My suggestion: Forget about the All In Wonder Series. Honestly it sucks. The TV tuner is absolutely crap and the imagine is dismal.
Yes, I do like ATI, but this card... no way...

Follow the suggestion of the 6800GT. Good Card, Good Performance. Then with the money you've saved with not buying the X800XT AIW you can pick up a GIG of VALUE ram.

Battlefield 2 will slap your ass and scream, "Who's your daddy?"

You'll be all set for the new baby... Congrads by the way!!!

PoisonPorkchop said:
Agreed. 1 GB of ram is fine for now. A 6800 GT is a good choice as well.

PS. Please stop saying "Hola cyber pimps" and "I beseech the collective for your sage advice", its kind of annoying...

I dont have a problem with it, kinda chuckled actually, it aint annoying, the reply above is annoying.

Oh and get off the ATI thing; trust these guys when they say get a EVGA 6800GT, it rox.

The only thing 2gb of ram is good for is BF2, otherwise I believe, it decreases performance.

All,
Thanks and I really don't need any of the TV tuner features of the AIW... Havok is right, I just like ATI. But after reading everything that everyone has to say I think I'll go with the 6800GT and the additional RAM. Thanks again to all and thanks to Havok for the "atta boy" on the baby too!

when does RAM become a bottleneck?
when somebody creates a program (or OS) that takes up a lot of RAM and starts using paging file.
most people won't even use 256MB a lot of gamers will get away with 512MB. 1GB is pretty standard in new gaming machines though. 2GB (1x1GB) is nice, but not necessary, plus it doesn't actually get as high speeds as 2x512 sticks. this is more of a concern if you're overclocking.

apokalipse said:
when somebody creates a program (or OS) that takes up a lot of RAM and starts using paging file.

I realize that I'm going totally newbie here, but what is a paging file and what do they do?

Igetshockedalot said:
I realize that I'm going totally newbie here, but what is a paging file and what do they do?

Its a portion of your hard drive that is basically used as memory when you use up your ram. It is also known as swap file or virtual memory. It can be set to any size you want. I currently have my min to 1500mb and max to 2500. To access your page file go to control panel/performance/system/advanced/performance, settings tab/advanced/virtual memory/change....hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom