Dell PC for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - if I decide not to build but buy a custom PC from cyberpowersystem.com what do you think of this:

CASE : HOT NEW! Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black Case w/Black Face)

CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 4800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio

MEMORY : 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Kingston Hyper-X High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader)

HARD DRIVE : Hitachi 400GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache

Hard Drive 2 : NONE

VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card(Bundled w/ BattleField II Game)

VIDEO CARD 2 : NONE

Optical Drive : SONY DWD26A DUAL FORMAT 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

Optical Drive 2 : NONE

MONITOR & LCD : NONE

SOUND : Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS 7.1

Price: $3092.00

I just guessed on the motherboard and memory since I do not know much about the brands/features. Please adsvise. Thanks!
How would this system perform versus the dell that I specked on the first page?

hmm... If you really don't want to build you're own... I guess that set up will be just fine. I would suggest that you buy (1) Raptor 74gig for master and use that 400gig as additional storage.

BUT!!!

I agree with idiotec's config, accept with 3 things.

I don't believe that that RAM is fully supported by AMD at this time. Nor does the MOBO. DDR 600 (PC 4800) would just be under clocked to DDR400 (PC 3200). Buying some mid to highend DDR 400 PC3200 with low timings for overclocking would proably be the way to go.

Forget the (2) raptors in RAID. Just buy (1) and load only operating system, necessary drivers, appz and may-be some high-end games. Use additional storage for everything else. Save $180

Then "OCZ modstream" is not ATX12v (2.01). Which the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR requires for optimal performance. Modular power supplies suck. Although they may seem cool and nice to work with the resistance that the modular plugs create is their downfall.
With the money that was saved from the (1) raptor, spend that plus the money for the OCZ modstream and buy a PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 SLI/PCIexpress deluxe.

Then my friend, you're kicking some serious Dell booty!!!

Don't buy from cyberpower, questionable business practices especially if you're going to spend so much. Monarch computer is what lots would recommend.

Roger

I don't believe that that RAM is fully supported by AMD at this time. Nor does the MOBO. DDR 600 (PC 4800) would just be under clocked to DDR400 (PC 3200). Buying some mid to highend DDR 400 PC3200 with low timings for overclocking would proably be the way to go.
LOL, I did that so fast, I didn't even realize it was rated at DDR600. Now that would be nice as hell for OC'ing, and it is supported, but your right, it will just be underclocked to DDR400 at stock. Really, if OC'ing isn't an option, valueram would be fine, but with this system, I think the option at least has to be there. These GH's with the BH-5's are sweet and quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231013

Then "OCZ modstream" is not ATX12v (2.01). Which the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR requires for optimal performance. Modular power supplies suck. Although they may seem cool and nice to work with the resistance that the modular plugs create is their downfall.
Again, going quick, I didn't realize this wasn't a 24-pin PSU. Good catch. You definately need a 24-pin. The SLI part, is optional but a good idea if you ever want to add another 7800 in there.

Edit: Oh, and cooling, you will need a couple case fans, but the stock CPU fan will get you buy until you decide to OC this thing :p

If its that much of a big deal, I'd be happy to put together your computer for you and ship it back to you for a surcharge of 50 bucks!

lol im kidding id do it for free, just dont get angry if something zaps.

You could also buy the parts, and take em to your local computer store and ask them to put it all together for you.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions. Here is what I think I'll go with:

SONY Black IDE Combo Drive Model CRX320EE/B2S - OEM - $31

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DWQ28A - OEM - $41.99

Lian Li PC-60BPlus Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail - $129

1-Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - $183

2-Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM - $234

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - $198

1-Leadtek WinFast PX7800GTX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - $499

OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail - $129

2-G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - $294.02

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail - $885.09

TOTAL - $2,624.10

Please advise on the power supply. Is there one on newegg.com that would be recomended that is ATX12v (2.01)? Also - as I was reviewing I realized that a sound card was not in the specs - any thoughts? Is the onboard audio any good? I was looking at the SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS.

I like this setup because I can add the second video card at a later date to take advantage of the SLI at a later date and save $500 now. Will this setup allow me to upgrade to the DDR600 at a later date? If not is it a big deal - should I wait until the RAM is fully supported by AMD?

How does this compare to the original Dell specs I posted on page 1 in terms of gaming/media power and longevity (inferior, equal, slightly better, much better)?

Thanks!

Please advise on the power supply. Is there one on newegg.com that would be recomended that is ATX12v (2.01)?
Try the one HAVOC2k5 or PZEROFGH suggested.

Is the onboard audio any good? I was looking at the SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS.
The onboard sound is pretty good, but if you want to add that sound card all the better.

Will this setup allow me to upgrade to the DDR600 at a later date? If not is it a big deal - should I wait until the RAM is fully supported by AMD?
Well, for AMD, DDR400 is the max stock RAM speed, but you can OC the system to higher speeds. Even with the RAM in the current rig you could get at least DDR500 out of it if you learn more about overclocking. But that is something to probably think about later.

How does this compare to the original Dell specs I posted on page 1 in terms of gaming/media power and longevity (inferior, equal, slightly better, much better)?
Much better, the only thing your giving up right away is the 2 7800GTX's in SLI. But that is really overkill at the moment anyways, and your saving quite a bit of money.

I think you'll end up having fun building the system yourself. Just keep reading and by the time you have all the parts you'll be ready to go. Good luck :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom