Dell PC for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone would be kind enough to list out what components I need to build a beast of a gaming rig (I also do digital video editing) I would appreciate it. I can then price out the parts and see if the savings make sense. I think that I could build the machine. I am pretty good at doing stuff like that. I liked the Dell because I didn't have to build it and the financing allowed me to pay for it through 1/07 with no interest. Also, my current PC is a dell and has been good.

if you want to you can buy the dell, the only reason people dont like the dell is that cause its not upgradeable meaning you would have to buy a new one in a couple of years, and they use "cheapy" componets that may break in a year or two

What system would you buy for around $3k to $3.5k?
SONY Black IDE Combo Drive Model CRX320EE/B2S - OEM
Model #: CRX320EE/B2S
$31.00

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DWQ28A - OEM
Model #: DWQ28A
$41.99

Lian Li PC-60BPlus Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: PC-60BPlus
$129.00

X2 Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD740GD
$366.00

X2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3250823AS
$234.00

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
$198.00

X2 Leadtek WinFast PX7800GTX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: WinFast PX7800GTX
$998.00

OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: OCZ52012U
$129.00

X2 G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 600 (PC 4800) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F1-4800DSU2-1GBFR - Retail
Model #: F1-4800DSU2-1GBFR
$450.50

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA4800CDBOX
$888.19

Subtotal: $3,465.68

Edit: BTW, I actually really don't even recommend spending this much, it is just not necessary. You easily subtract big bucks by going down to 1 7800GTX, 1gig of RAM and 1 or 0 Raptors. Even with those changes the system would kick ass.

I agree with idiotec. I would consider getting rid of 1 7800GTX amd 1 Raptor to bring the price down. I could always add these as updrades later. I am sure that 1 7800 GTX would sufice for the current generation of gaming. I can always SLI it to another later! That would probably put me in the $2,800 range.

What is the benefit of the Raptor? I see that it is very fast at 10,000 RPM - but since it is 70GB would I be using this for my O/S or is it best to partion one of the other drives for the O/S and use the Raptor for gaming/digital video?

Thanks!

What is the benefit of the Raptor? I see that it is very fast at 10,000 RPM - but since it is 70GB would I be using this for my O/S or is it best to partion one of the other drives for the O/S and use the Raptor for gaming/digital video?
You would want to load your OS and programs on the Raptor. All data such as movies, music etc would go on the big drives.

Hey - I'm open to building a system! I just have never done it and don't have the expertise. I am interested in the system that idiotec speced for me on the first page. Does anyone have comments/suggestions? Also - will I need anything else to make the system work - does it have all of the cooling that it needs - will I be able to install my Windows XP software from my Dell and the Microsoft Office from the CDs for my other computer or do I need to repurchase?

Thanks! And I am very open to comments/suggestions! I appreciate the help.

I personally from my experience would not build your own pc, when your talking about this kind of money and expensive hardware. Although people here could help you, I know I wouldn't be comfortable writing out instruction playing with a high end video card.

As for your software, Unless you want to reformat your computer every 30 days, your Dell cd won't work. Although you can call them and say you just reformatted and they'll let you reactivate...Heh..

As for Microsoft Office, I believe the cd you have would work.

On your cooling issue, at least get 2 fan's, and make sure you've got good air flow.

On the other hand, You can get a water cooling system and be done with it.

jowens said:
Hey - I'm open to building a system! I just have never done it and don't have the expertise. I am interested in the system that idiotec speced for me on the first page. Does anyone have comments/suggestions? Also - will I need anything else to make the system work - does it have all of the cooling that it needs - will I be able to install my Windows XP software from my Dell and the Microsoft Office from the CDs for my other computer or do I need to repurchase?

Thanks! And I am very open to comments/suggestions! I appreciate the help.
Get what idiotec suggested but to save money:

1. Drop the raptor 10,000rpm hard drives
2. Get only one 7800GTX
3. Get the non SLI version of that motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom