New Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I already have a case with 350W PS, but I'm not sure if it's ATX 2.0 compliant...

Would 350W be enough to run what PZEROFGH listed above?

If the power supply is ATX 2.0 compliant, then it should be enough.

BUT...most power supplies that come with cases, from what I've seen, aren't ATX 2.0 compliant. There's an easy way to tell, though - an ATX 2.0 power supply has a 24-pin plug that it uses to plug into the motherboard and an older one has only 20 pins. Look at the big plug on the power supply that's plugged into the motherboard and count the pins - it's that simple.

If it's a 20-pin instead of a 24-pin you could try to plug it in anyway on your new board and hope for the best. Some people have done that and reported success, but others have reported that it didn't work. I wouldn't recommend it, though, because I don't think taking the chance would be worth it. Shoot for getting a nice ATX 2.0 power supply like the one I suggested if the one you have doesn't have the 24 pins.

Having a quality power supply in your computer is extremely important, and it's something that people looking to buy a computer tend to overlook. Make no mistake about it - a bad or insufficient power supply can cause all sorts of headaches for you.

Well, then it's not ATX 2.0. You could try to plug it in to your motherboard anyway and see if it works if you wanted to just try and go with it anyway. They also make 20 to 24 pin adapters that you could try to use, but I'm not sure how effective that would be, especially if you go with a finicky DFI board.

I'd say just spring for a solid ATX 2.0 power supply. Maybe it'll cost you a few clams now, but it could save you a lot of time and trouble in the future.

What brand is the power supply, by the way?

That's not a power supply, dude, that's Windows XP :p

Going with a generic power supply is always risky business in my mind, but you could try and make it work for a little while if you wanted to. It may work, it may not. But regardless of whether it does or doesn't, I suggest planning to get an ATX 2.0 power supply some time in the future.

The Aspire one that PZERO is recommending would be a satisfactory solution. I haven't seen very many reviews on Aspire's power supplies, but from what I've seen their power supplies work well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom