radeon wtf stupid artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Athlon5

In Runtime
hi guys
i got a problem and i dont understand it
i overclocked my radeon 9200 to 333mhz core. and put on a pentium 3 heatsink/fan to cool it better. the piece of shittt would do about 320 before but was hot.

now it does 333mhz and its only warm, the heatsink is warm, and the back of the gpu is somewhat warm, but not hot.

after playing halo for 1 1/2hours i get artifacts(alot of em) then i go into rivatuner and turn it down to 320, still artifacts, then i try default 250, still artifacts, i turned halo off and surfed the net, with some graphics messups

and i try halo after 30mins, still has artifacts, even at default.

why do i get artifacts when cooling is good, and why dont they go away unless i restart??? this makes no sence to me

this makes no sence to me

Probably has to do with the GPU/RAM. After 1.5 hours of a high performance game, youre gonna wanna reset your graphics memory, which is done by restarting. If you wanna overclock and play great games get used to taking off every hour or two to reboot.

that makes no sense to me either, why would i have to wtf, the memory is not overclocked, only the gpu is, and its got a heatsink on it a big one/w fan. p3 hsf. what is causing this problem, please expand. its a strange problem.

I'd say its because you pushed it so far that even when resset to default it still carries out those simptoms. try underclocking it. see if that helps the picture/artifacts

Well, the card runs a-o-k if it isnt overclocked and games are played right?

Pushing the voltage is one thing that will give artifacts, and the lingering could be caused by the GPU's memory. If the card is overclocked and the artifacts occur over a period of time, that to me says that youre pushing the memory rather than the GPU (if it was the GPU, itd be immediate). If the memory isnt reset, it isnt going to respond to simple lowered voltage. It needs to be reset. Hence the clear on reboot.

I agree .. it's a problem of the memory not refreshing ...
Check the card voltages again

i didnt change the voltage nore do i know how

i used rivatuner to change the core mhz
from 250 - 333mhz.
i added a p3 heatsink/fan and removed the stock one and the stock thermal tape. i applied generic cpu compound, and glue to hold the heatsink in place

the memory is set a default right now. and has been during thoses problems. memory is 200mhz x 2 = 400mhz

i still dont understand why the stupid 9200 core is so gay, that it has to mess up after 1.5hours and not want to get fixed unless i restart

This mite sound stupid .. but what do u mean by
i applied generic cpu compound, and glue to hold the heatsink in place

What glue .. The glue might not be a conducting compound ..

k that did sound stupid lol

i said i used CPU compound - thus heat transfer stuff, im not stupid
this stuff is not epoxy, so its not glue that will hold the heatsink on,

i used glue around the core to hold the heatsink to the pcb.

get it? the cpu compound is between the gpu core and the heatiskn, and around the gpu core is glue holding the hsf in place

LOL :D .. I get it .. but i had to ask .. coz .. i really know guys who actually use superglue to fix a heatsink :)

Now that i'm talkin' 'bout it .. there was this other dude .. who scraped of the heatsink compound of the HS ..thinkin' that it was just some black deposits ..hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom