Compaq Armada 1700

Status
Not open for further replies.

judymac

Solid State Member
I have a compaq armada 1700 laptop I bought at a garage sale, the problem, it powers up but asks for a power-on password, is there a way to bypass this, no one knows the password, thanks in advance.

There are some password recovery cracking software out there. Do some google searches, may-be you can find one that will work for you. (I'm talking about the legit kind, just made for this issue).

You could also format and reinstall and operating system. Access BIOS, change first boot from HDD to CD. Insert windows OS install and restart. This will start the windows install process. Format HDD and reinstall windows. This is probably the best option seeing as you have no idea what's on that laptop. "Viruses, Adware, Spyware...ETC" You might as well start off clean...

Good Luck!

Well the blasted thing won't boot with floppy or cd, I can't get into bios to change anything because it asks for power-onpassword, but I do thank you for your input.
Judy

judymac said:
Well the blasted thing won't boot with floppy or cd, I can't get into bios to change anything because it asks for power-onpassword, but I do thank you for your input.
Judy

Oh, someone has password protected the BIOS. Well, you can call Compaq and spend some time onthe phone and talk to tech support. Each manufacturer has a backdoor password that can be used to access their BIOS. Or if not at least they can give you an alternate way to bypass the BIOS password security feature. Sometimes removing the CMOS battery will work. But, in a laptop, this will be more difficult.

By the way, do you know what BIOS is on that laptop? Because i've got a list of common backdoor passwords for lot's of BIOS'S...

Have no idea, just got this. Not sure if it's 95 or 98 either. I guess I could call Compaq. I do thank you for all your help. Have a great evening.

judymac said:
does anyone know where the cmos battery is in this armada 1700 laptop?

It's somewhere inside the chassis of the laptop. If you have limited experience with PC's you should take it to a professional to open and clear the CMOS.

Goodluck

I thank you one and all...I DID IT. I now have access to the laptop, installed win 98 and hooked to my direcway satelite.
Once again thank you all

judymac said:
I thank you one and all...I DID IT. I now have access to the laptop, installed win 98 and hooked to my direcway satelite.
Once again thank you all

You're welcome? But what did you do? This could help out others that come here with a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom