Going Dual Channel =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1000

In Runtime
Hey guys,

Im going to be buying another stick of ram for my comp currently i have 1 stick of Ultra 512 mb 3200 400mhz, if i want to go dual channel, should i buy another identical stick of this ram? or can i buy a 1 gig stick and mix it with the current 512mb stick, in my mobo's book it says that its recommended so i take it i should buy a second stick of that ram. and i have a sub question.

-----
Can refresh rates cause a computer to crash in its boot cycle *cough cough* my computer, its only set at 72hz :eek:

you can put another 512mb stick of that with the 512mb alreayd in there to run in dual channel im not sure about the 1GB stick with the 512 to run in dual channel. im thinking you can but dont ask me. if you can run in dual channel i would get the 1GB stick. but i mean 1 gig is fine for now.

You will need to have the sticks the same size (there are exceptions, but no need to go into that, more for socket A, I have 2X 512 and 2x 256 in dual channel.)

(Refreash rates for what? A monitor?)

the refresh rate is set at 72hz for my gfx card and in all the settings, i havent done anything to the monitors settings though.

What sort of monitor is it? If TFT/LCD 50hz is fine, as that is the maximum the human eye can see. CRT then you want it just above 50hz to get rid of a slight flicker that only the corner of the eye can see.

Btw. the crashes may be due to the PSU not supplying enough amps on the 12v. There is a complete guide somewhere on this forum for all the factors of crashing, but PSU is the main one for random crashing.

no i believe its 60hz that the human eye can not see the flickering, as i read some where in pcworld

its a dell 17 inch crt, ill check out that crashing sticky, and ill check elbatrops sticky.

also i have a 400w psu, so its more than enough.

yeep.
had to remove sig :O
heres specs.

amd 3200 winchester 939
512 mb 3200 400mhz ultra ram
xfx 6200 256 mb agp
ultra xconnect 400 watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom