Display adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
A while ago, I checked the size of my display adapter and it said it is 8mb. I tried out a game, and it said "Out of memory". I checked again recently and it said I have 2mb. I didn't install any new drivers, and I still have the same driver and everything as before. I didn't install any new hardware, so how can I get my 8mb back? I think it is a software problem, so help if you can.

-Thanx

Could be an integrated Vid Card. You can edit the size of your video memory in the BIOS (assuming its a integrated Vid Card) If it isnt, try the mankers website to see if there are driver updates...8 meg is rather outdated for these times, my 64 seems tiny in comparison to some...*sigh* :p

Check for any BIOS updates on the display adapter as well (assuming discrete). Plus, some integrated graphics adapters have dynamic memory allocation (e.g. while performing 2D, the adapter will only use 2-4 MB of RAM, while when playing an intensive game, it'll use 8-12). If the adapter is integrated, you may want to check for BIOS updates for your motherboard as well.

I don't know if it is an integrated video card, it is the one on the motherboard. I updated my bios driver recently, so I don't know if that might have done it. I am just trying to fix it, is all I want but I don't know "HOW". If you could give me some info on that, that would be great!

... by the way, it is a SiS 530/620 (that is what is says, again, it is the display adapter which comes built in to the motherboard, cause I can't put my new one in bacause it conflicts with this one and there are problems on start up --the computer shows a black screen after it loads up and freezes--)

The on your motherboard itself is the intergtated video card .. The Sis 620 is a pretty low end chipset ..
In your bios ther's an option for setting the shared memory for video ..increase that size .
Also .. when u add another display card .. in the bios change the the primary display to AGP .. Also check to see if u have a jumper on the board to see if u can disable the onboard video.

I actually went in and changed the memory back to 8mb. I tried to put in my 16mb graphic card, but the computer won't start unless it is in safe mode. I disabled my integrated vid card because they couldn't both work, but that didn't seem to fix the problem. It is just that the computer won't start, and after it loads windows up it shows a black screen. I had the 16mb one installed on my computer before and it worked. Then all the sudden it would work 50% of the time, and then 0% of the time. I took it out, and tried to put it in last night, so as I told you, it didn't work. If you expert dudes can help me on that, that would be awesome. I am not really good at hardware stuff, I am just good at software.

Thanx! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom