Old (Dos)Games on XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronzen

Beta member
How do I play the older games, like Doom etc. on XP. I have tried the properties - run compatible to win95, but that does not work.

Is there a good dos emulator out there (Besides dosbox) that can be used in Windows (XP) .

I enjoy the old first person shooter games. Please help.

Thanks

:confused:

run a dual boot with an older operating system. only way you are going to be able to install the dos games. i recomend 98SE if you can.

The only good way is a dual boot, which might not work in your situation since xp is already installed (98SE must be installed first, then XP). Otherwise, you can buy an old 486 or Pentium with DOS and just play your old games on that. Nothing like the real thing ;)

you can dual boot when XP is already on a machine, it has its own boot manager. :p if you don't want to use that, you can get Paragon Disk Manager. you dont have to install 98SE first. ;)

VMware works too. Just make sure you have 1gb + total ram on the system... so the VM doesn't slow you down too much.

I know they have a dos emu for WinXP that will let you play DOS games on it......sounds weird but it works and it's true....can't seem to think of the name.

go to Start -> Accessories -> Program Compatibility Wizard, try that first before you tinker with any older OS :p

the oldest one i believe is win 95, try that, see if it'll work :p

then there are some free DOS that installs on windows, i donno the names, as i have never used it before..

Thanks for all the help. I will try dosbox with a frontend and see if that works. IF all else fails, I will reformat and reload. That should take about a week. HA HA HA.

Bronzen Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom