sc.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
XPpro/SP2

I needed to use the facilities of sc.exe to resolve a problem on boot-up

I downloaded 16 pages of information, some of which might be useful.

But, although it opens in a cmd page it then asks if I want to proceed with a yes/no query, the moment I try "y" or anything else it immediately drops out of the cmd panel and returns to normal desktop.

Why and does anyone have experience of using it? It says that it has similar attributes to Services in Admin tools in Control Panel, but it has quite a few more which I want to use.

Works fine for me. Same config. Might be something with a missing dll or a fault NTvdm. find a tool called qfecheck. it's a quality checker for the stat of you rmachine and the hotfixes applied to it. we (the company I would with) ran into a problem with a specific hotfix that would break cmd shell stuff. if you can find it, run that and it should tell you if your missing anything...

Good luck

Thanks. I had a look at "qfecheck" and it seems to apply to XPro\SP1 and not to \SP2

Does it work in SP2 guise?

Runs on my sp2 system without a glitch... I think it works in either case. The program validates the files that are installed from all hotfixes listed in the registry of your machine. This should actually take in account the XP2 install, as the hotfixes are integrated with the install, plus a few others...

Had an e-mail response from M% which indicated that they were not content with the version for SP1 to run in SP2 and suggested I ran sfc \scannow. I did so from my XpPro/SP2 CD, but it was a painful excercise as it required "retry" well over 100 times (wonder why?)

Thanks. I have run both zip files and no error or violation was found after repetitive recycling. Removed now from my computer with some difficulty

Any idea why running sfc /scannow requires so many "retries" form my XP/SP2 CD

What is the message? Does it post an error?

what did you have trouble removing?

There is no error message. The original reason for trying to run sfc /scannow was because I couldn't get sc.exe to run properly and I thought it might just improve matters - it didn't.

Then the reason that I wanted to use sc.exe was to attempt to resolve a problem I had with Unerase Protection not booting "on" in Norton System Works Premier 2005.

However, after a large amount of head scratching, it seemed that there might be a conflict in the XP prefetcher, so deleted its contents and re-initialised it and the problem was instantly resolved.

Now I am somewhat inexperienced and all this will seem trivial to you and I apologise, but I am still left with the sfc /scannow problem whereby it continually requests the insertion of the XPPro/SP2 CD by suggesting "retry" well over a hundred times before the full scan is completed.

At the same time running sc.exe always opens a command panel C:\WINDOWS\System32\sc.exe and the entry says "Would you like to see help for the QUERY and QUERYEX commands? [y : n] _
and whatever I enter at this point the computer reverts to the desktop instantly. I have no idea why and it also happens on a laptop with a similar configuration.

try this... create a new text document with the following text in it:

net start cryptsvc
regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s
regsvr32 initpki.dll /s
regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
exit

then save the file as crypto.bat.
run it, and see if that helps.

That might help with the cd prompting...
Also, open up the eventlog, start run eventvwr
Look in system and application logs for Windows Protection messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom