WTF!! tried to install new wireless mouse, computer won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennl

Baseband Member
it's stuff like this that makes me want to throw my computer through a wall.

i got a new wireless mouse, the instructions said to shut down, plug in new mouse, restart, then install mouse driver.

so i shut down, plugged in the new mouse and started back up. it beeped once, displayed the "abit" logo screen with messages to press tab to show post screen and press "del' to enter setup, but got stuck there.

i came downstairs to my other machine to try and post this message, and when i went back up, it had gone to a new screen, the post screen i think, and at one point it said "CPU unworkable or has been changed"

how is this possible?!

it has to have something to do with the mouse because the computer was working flawlessly immediately before i tried to install the new mouse. please help before i kill my computer!

i've tried restarting several times but same result...

oh yeah, also tried reconnecting the original mouse, but i get stuck at the same point

okay, now my computer booted up, after letting it sit for 15 minutes, and appears to be working fine...

what's going on?! i'm afraid to restart it....

Well maybe your Mobo battery needs replacing, that could explain the Cpu unworkable prob.

But try it with the mouse out and the old one back in and see what happens.

NOW it goes past ABIT screen to the normal screen it runs through while booting. but gets stuck at "verifying DMI pool data..."

then says

"NTLDR is missing, press any key to continue"

but when i press a key it just repeats that message...

how can plugging in a new mouse cause this? or is it just a cruel coincidence?

NTLDR (NT Loader) is the boot loader for Windows NT, including its later versions (2000/XP/Longhorn). NTLDR can be run either from a floppy disk or a hard disk. If run from a hard disk, it must be stored on the active partition, which itself must be FAT or NTFS.

go into your BIOS dude. check and make sure your first boot is selected to your HDD with OS installed on it. I bet right now you have first boot to FLOPPY.

Did you remove or reset your MOBO Battery? Because if you did it will default the BIOS back to FIRST BOOT FROM FLOPPY...

HAVOC2k5 said:
NTLDR (NT Loader) is the boot loader for Windows NT, including its later versions (2000/XP/Longhorn). NTLDR can be run either from a floppy disk or a hard disk. If run from a hard disk, it must be stored on the active partition, which itself must be FAT or NTFS.

go into your BIOS dude. check and make sure your first boot is selected to your HDD with OS installed on it. I bet right now you have first boot to FLOPPY.

Did you remove or reset your MOBO Battery? Because if you did it will default the BIOS back to FIRST BOOT FROM FLOPPY...

i thought the first boot was supposed to be floppy? isn't that why if you accidentally have a floppy inserted in the drive you get a "non system disk or disk error" message?

anyway, thanks, it's working... BUT, it takes about 15 minutes to boot!?!?

once it's up and running it's fine, but why so long to boot all the sudden. this is a very new system that as of this morning was very fast to boot...

i think this sounds like a usb related problem. i have seen a few posts on TF about people having trouble booting with usb devices connected. i myself have had problems using a usb keyboard. have no idea what in the hell actually causes these problems but thats what it sounds like. check settings in the BIOS related to the USB ports and have a play round with them to see what happens

nitestick said:
i think this sounds like a usb related problem. i have seen a few posts on TF about people having trouble booting with usb devices connected. i myself have had problems using a usb keyboard. have no idea what in the hell actually causes these problems but thats what it sounds like. check settings in the BIOS related to the USB ports and have a play round with them to see what happens

that may be worth checking out... i do have quite a few USB devices connected, and had been plugging and unplugging them, moving stuff around shortly before all these problems started...

what am i looking for my USB bios settings to be set to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom