Stuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graham said:
It comes stock 2.0 Ghz and the most I can do is 2.3 Ghz. The clawhammer core is apparently bad with heat according to a post by DJ Chris. He seems like a respectable fellow, too.

My ram timings are 3-3-3-8, and in another post about FEAR demo performance, he said it was my ram. I never got a direct answer as to whether it is the latency timings, the 400MHz DDR PC3200, or what.

Also, I can't use dual-channel with my mobo. I don't know how big an effect that is but if no one can give me a good answer I will have to suspect it of that. Damn Asus K8V Deluxe....

Dual channel support for the motherboard is not something that Asus is responsible for, it's the CPU. Thanks for reading my core guide as well :eek:

Your problems, are not normal.

If it was a video card problem, you would have low FPS and feel like your going in slowmode.

If it was standard RAM problem, most of the time you just see a whole bunch of little pauses close together.

And those kind of freezes that you are expering are most likely not a CPU problem either. Your CPU may be limiting peformance, but something else it wrong.

You could have some spyware doing this, or a virus to you.

Here's my experince on 2 simmilar issues to yours.
#1: One of my old PC's, I get this issue, usually followed by the game freezing. Turns out "Graphics card device stuck in infinite loop". Reinstalling windows worked.

#2: Neighbours old (&*%$ IBM computer with any old game (Half Life 1). This is an old p3 with intergrated graphics though. Does the exact same thing, expisally during loading which makes this look like a RAM issue.

Can you check your system temperautres as they may be causing the problem, and can you also make sure you have nothing overclocked. If you dont know what overclocking is, you havnt done it :)

I took off the overclocking, ran Spybot S&D with the latest patches, ran a full scan of McAfee Virus software with latests DATs, defragmented the HD, and .....

Not so much studdering but alarmingly low framerates..... :(

I still get 160 fps average in the source stress test yet the fps in-game stays around 60 at spawn and dips to 20-40 during fights. I realllllly should get more than that.... I mean come on. The processor market is dead and somehow my processor being relatively the same technology performs that badly stock?

FEAR Demo ran worse than ever and Far Cry went down too....

I got a feeling I need to drop some cash for an upgrade but I don't see the newer processors helping out that much.

Could it just be the video card having a SLIGHT overheating issue? Or is there something in the background on your computer causing the hiccups? My machine does this every few minutes on Halo For PC even at the lowest settings because of background programs using some of the CPU and RAM every now and then..........

Has anyone considers the possibility of this being a power supply issue? That may explain why the performance is good in less graphics / processor intense games. I don't think the original poster ever mentioned that. Just a thought from the caveman...

Thermaltake 420W PS should be fine with my setup. I have it listed in my sig now so I don't have to keep retelling the stats.

Edit: I don't know why my sig won't display...

ur screwed man. thats gonna suck u baught an agp card and have a 754 socket ohh man it sucks to be u.

I disagree: eBay consumers are still paying close to $400 for X850 cards used/unused. I could sell it after 5 days and order a 6800 GT or 7800 GT real easy. Not interested in SLI, though. That costs waaaay too much.

Well, I didnt read all the posts but heres my suggestions. Check temps to make sure its not overheating, download latest video card AND game drivers. Reformat your hard drive.

Temperatures seem to be fine, although I have no idea how hot the X850 card runs at. I had this problem well before that happened so I am sure that is not the case.

As for reformatting the HD, I have a seperate 40 gig HD dedicated to OS, drivers, and software. I have a 80 gig for files and such. That is filled up to capacity, but reall should have no effect on the 40 gig doing all the game stuff....

Latest 5.8 Catalyst and Steam updates itself automatically and won't let you play without it doing so first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom