Buying a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PZEROFGH

Golden Master
well i was thinking of buying a new laptop, and i need some suggestions on what to buy, and where to buy from.
i was going to go with a pentium m, but i kind of want an athlon 64...
i still dont know where to buy from...dell, everyone hates dell but where else are you going to buy a laptop from...build your own?...or hp. i have one dell desktop..its slow...never tried hp.

1) need to know where to buy

and

2) what to buy

using this for web browsing...downloading stuff...burning cds...not burning DVDs..watching movies...dont need a high end graphics card. some crappy intel accelerated graphics card is perfectly fine with me

I recommend laptops with Pentium-Ms. P-Ms are part of the Centrino package.

Pentium Ms seem to be quite powerful, and also have excellent power dissapation. Because they are power efficient, systems with P-Ms will yield a good battery life, as well as low heat production.

I havent done too much research on A64 laptops, so I cant tell you that one is better than the other, but I can tell you that I would much rather get a P-M laptop than a P4 laptop, for the above mentioned reasons.

HP now offers Turion notebooks, if you're wanting 64-bit without having to sacrifice your battery.

im willing to spend about 1000 dollars add or minus. my first choice was a p4 mobile, but i had a laptop that had a 2.0Ghz p4 mobile and the fan on the bottom was on 24/7 the temps were always in the low 60C, so im not sure if i want another one of those. i really dont care about battery life cause it really is just going to be plugged into the wwall the whole time. is the amd turion any good, never heard of it...what is it compared to with intel. its always the warranty that kills me, 3 years for 269 dollars from hp. so i got so far is

512 memory, i might get 256 and just upgrade myself cause if you upgrade from 256 to 512 its 100 dollars more, which you can do it yourself for about 30 dollars.

60-80GB for the hdd, i really dont even use that much on my desktop sense i have like 5000 songs and a million of pictures.

DVD drive, a cd-rw would be nice but not necessary

battery life- 6 cells is ok

i need a 4 year warranty or 3. which is the big hole in the pocket

and i really dont need a big screen size.

so would you guys recommeneding buying either from dell or hp. i need a laptop that has good quality and wont die in the next 4 years.

I would recommend HP/Compaq, I think you get more for your money that way. My dad has an HP and its been great for the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom