P4 Northwood - On its way out from me OCing it to its limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exi

Baseband Member
I have a pretty piss-poor overclocker compared to the 2.4 stores - can't manage much more than 500MHz or so (2.6c, 3.1 stable @ 1.65vc, DDR320 @ 2.7vd) - anything past that, no matter the voltages or latencies, just doesn't work. If I make it to desktop, Prime95 throws an error within ten minutes, usually faster.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, stock vc on a Northie like my 2.6c was 1.525. Now, my newest problem is that I cannot boot with that. I can try, but the computer restarts right before the login prompt no matter what (everything else - HD, RAM - checks out fine.) I'm at 1.55 now, but I thought that 1.525 was the default value.

What I'm wondering is whether several months of 1.65-1.7 @ load temps no greater than perhaps 55 C caused this (assuming my memory is correct on the vc thing), and if so, what kind of prognosis am I looking at for that poor bundle o' 478-pin love?

1.7 volts is a death temperature for northwood core processors, be forwarned. That could have caused some issues

flash the bios. and start over. but 3.1 isnt bad man.just raise the fsb of the whole system.

timmer said:
flash the bios. and start over. but 3.1 isnt bad man.just raise the fsb of the whole system.

What do ya think he was doing, raising the multiplier LOL?

Flashing the bios will do nothing to help him, unless he finds a newer more stable version,

DJ-CHRIS said:
1.7 volts is a death temperature for northwood core processors, be forwarned. That could have caused some issues

Ive had a northwood 2.4C @3.65ghz prime 95 stable for 2 hours at 1.9V with 0 problems other then a 64C temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom