New PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasker

Baseband Member
First off, I would like to thank everyone for helping me out with my questions and problems. This board has been a really freindly place and I have enjoyed being in this community.

Now the juicy part...
I got this new 550watt PSU with the works blah blah blah. It has a 120mm fan on top and a 80mm fan on the back panel inside the computer.
[Heres a link that can better describe it than I can:http://www.realpcpower.com/SilenceBlue.htm]

Anyways, when I put it in, it worked great. It was quiet and seemed to cool well. Well, after awhile I started smelling a smell and it smelt like burning plastic. I thought since it was new then it would make that smell and so I thought nothing of it. Little while later I kept smelling it, and by then I figured the new smell would have gone away by now. So I took the side panels off to examine it and then my computer shut down. So, I sat there for a bit in wonderment. Finally I came to the conclusion that the PSU must have over heated.The main reason why I came to that is that the 120mm fan that is on top is blowing air into the PSU and because my current case doesnt have a blow hole where the PSU is, it was only logical to conclude that the PSU wasnt recieving enough air to cool it. So, I tried turning it upside down and it wouldnt fit. So, I said screw it and threw my old one back in there and said piss on it. This really isnt a problem b/c this new one isnt even going in this case. Where it can create a problem is if my new case has the same screw config as this one. So, would I need to cut a blow hole into my new case?

BTW, what is all this about? Ive seen the switch for it and just wanted to know what its purpose is for.
Input Range: 115/220 VAC, switch-selected
Frequency: 50Hz~60Hz
Input Current: 8A @110VAC, 4A@220VAC
Inrush Current: 80A Max for 110VAC, 120A Max for 220VAC

That 120 should be intake.... shouldnt it?? Second... if that fan has no room to take/put air, that could be a problem. In most cases, theres no room above a PSU to move air.

Hopefully you have the switch set correctly. The 110/220 switch is dependant on where you live. US sockets take 110. Make SURE you have the right setting.

The 120 is an intake fan, and theres another 80mm fan that pulls air in as well. The 120mm fan is inside the PSU and the other 80mm is on the outside and is mounted where the mobo wires and molex connectors come out. So basically I have two fans blowing into this PSU. Should I reverse one of the fans? Or move the 80mm to the other side of the PSU so that its blowing out the back, instead of sucking hot air from inside my comp into the PSU?
Any suggestions?

holy crap... So I just noticed- that thing has no vent fan on the back? That 80mm goes INSIDE the case? If this is ture, thats a huge problem. Thats gotta make your PC like a damn oven!

I dunno man, maybe cutting a blowhole out of the top aint a bad idea...

Shrapnill said:
holy crap... So I just noticed- that thing has no vent fan on the back? That 80mm goes INSIDE the case? If this is ture, thats a huge problem. Thats gotta make your PC like a damn oven!

I dunno man, maybe cutting a blowhole out of the top aint a bad idea...

It does have a vent in the back, just not a fan there like other traditional PSUs. Instead the fan is on the other side of the PSU.
But I will prolly either end up modding my case or trading with a friend of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom