What to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Okay, I have a dilemma. Right now I have 512mb of Corsair XMS- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145521

I want to get another stick of it, but the problem is, I am oc'ing my Athlon XP-M really high, so I don't know if their is something better out their that I can get?

Of course, I could scrap all of this and get the AMD 64bit 3000+ w/the Venice core, and overclock that. Then I have a few questions about that.

1. I still have an AGP card, what do I do when I get an NF4 mobo that doesn't support AGP? I don't have enough money to get a CPU, Mobo, Zalman 7700 ACU, and Mid-end vid card. I may just have enough to get the mobo, cpu, and heatsink.

2. I know what CPU I want, now what mobo do I get, I don't need SLI but I would NF4, and I like DFI and Abit.

3. How much cooling performance difference will I get with the Zalman 7700 all copper, or the part copper and part aluminum one?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Well, I looked around a bit and wasnt able to find an agp board that was NF4. I got the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum, which is NF3, but I love it. Good OC options, really stable, and it looks good.

Thanks for looking around...

I would really like to stick to the newer technology though. Damn, I can't really not have my computer out of commission for a long time. I'm only 15 so money isn't that easy to come by. Lol the only reason I'm getting enough money to buy this stuff is because I'm selling some stuff.

Sorry man same thing happened to me i had an agp card but i couldnt afford to upgrade everything to NF4 but dont sweat it man NF3 is just as good and the msi neo2 platinum is a great board if you decide to get that.

Yeah I'm 15 too... sucks huh. Im somewhat new to computers though so I'm still not sure what the difference is between NF3 and NF4. Im happy with my Board though, I just need to get more ram and a better videocard :)

I mean I want to upgrade my video card, I only have an Nvidia Geforce TI 4400, which allows me only to play Farcry on Medium-Low settings...

Maybe if someone would buy my current cpu and mobo, which are the best of 32bit...

Okay, I have a $404 budget. Here is what I have selected-

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice: $146
Mobo- DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D: $135
HSF- ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU: $47.99
Ram- Patriot "Extreme Performance" 512MB: $62

This leaves me with $12.57 for PCI-E video card. This is a big problem...

Maybe someone here knows of a place that offers lower prices on this stuff...

Also, is that the best ram I can get for around that price? I will be overclocking the CPU extensively, hence the use of the Zalman HSF.

Edit:

This is the Video Card I want:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

It is $156, which is about $148 out of my budget. I could probably survive on a POS card for a while, but that would defeat the whole purpose of this upgrade, which is to get my game on!

I could maybe get to christmas on a PCI card, if those work on that mobo, do they?

The only diff between NF3 and NF4 is PCI-E. Get a DFI Lanparty w/ an NF3ultra because it has AGP on it. Its the best one i believe and its what im getting because im liek you. I just spent 300$ on a 6800GT AGP and want a 939 mobo so yea, no PCI-E for me. The MSI is good, but i had it before and wanted the DFI to come out.

I am having the same problem. I have an old Socket 754 Board and Chip, that doesn't support Dual Channel DDR, and that doesn't have PCI-E. I want to swap out the chip and the board for a possible 3700+ Socket 939 Chip and Board, but I can't afford a new GFX Card, plus the one I already have, the eVGA 6800 is already nice enough, and is not yet worth shelling out $500 for a new card. So what I figure ill do is get myself the NF3 MSI Neo Board, and then when im ready to get a new GFX Card, ill just buy a new board. I mean boards are fairly cheap. Maybe $100. So its not going to break the bank anyways.

P.P. Mguire said:
The only diff between NF3 and NF4 is PCI-E. Get a DFI Lanparty w/ an NF3ultra because it has AGP on it. Its the best one i believe and its what im getting because im liek you. I just spent 300$ on a 6800GT AGP and want a 939 mobo so yea, no PCI-E for me. The MSI is good, but i had it before and wanted the DFI to come out.

Nubius was right about the DFI NF3 horror story's, their's quite a few.

The MSI K8N Neo-2 has defiantly proved itself as a great NF3 board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom