65bit VS 32bit in the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash_2_2000

Beta member
Okay...

I'm looking to upgrade my PC from an old P4 system (like seriously old, I'm talking 1.6GHz here) to a newer system.

Now, I see all this hype about 64bit processors like the AMD64 etc, and how amazing they are when running 64bit applications. Yet, when I look at the specs, it says that the AMD64's run at like 2.0GHz or something...

So, when it comes to running games (the majority of which don't have 64bit versions), say I wanted to run HL² for instance, what would work better...

A 2.0GHz AMD64, or a 3Ghz P4 (32bit)? They cost about the same from where I'm standing, so I'm wondering which would be a better choice for me.

slash_2_2000 said:

A 2.0GHz AMD64, or a 3Ghz P4 (32bit)? They cost about the same from where I'm standing, so I'm wondering which would be a better choice for me.

You correct in think 64bit VS 32bit dont matter. That being said AMD is a different arctecture then intel and am not talking about 64bit vs 32bit. This means AMD can perform alot better then intel with lower clock speeds.

As for the gaming question AMD been better when it comes to gameing for a long time now. I would go with AMD if it for a gaming machine. AMD benfits majorly from shorter pipelines, built in memory controller, hypertransport.

i dont know if the 64biyt really makes a difference at the moment but if you want a new processor you have to go with 64 bit basicly because there isnt many other options. Athlon 64 processors are very fast and very efficient and they are 64 bit. I dont know if they are good because of the 64 bittiness but its always a good thing.

Yeah, but I'm wondering more about the actual performance in relation to a 32bit, in the real world...

E.g. if I load up HL² with an AMD64 2.0GHz, will it load faster than if I was loading it on a P4 3.0Ghz (32bit), despite the lower clock speed?

Basically, I want speed. Mmm... speed...

HELLOOOO have you people not heard of the new windows x64 edition ???? Windows just released the new windows edition and its 64 BIT!!! basically the colors are brighter and more vibrant and it just looks well.... AMAZING!!!!!!!!

slash_2_2000 said:
E.g. if I load up HL² with an AMD64 2.0GHz, will it load faster than if I was loading it on a P4 3.0Ghz (32bit), despite the lower clock speed?

Load time proberly more harddrive/ram bound. Acturally playing the game thoe you will get more fps with the amd then the intel.

kingcorona1212 said:
HELLOOOO have you people not heard of the new windows x64 edition ???? Windows just released the new windows edition and its 64 BIT!!! basically the colors are brighter and more vibrant and it just looks well.... AMAZING!!!!!!!!

AM waiting for the 64bit version of visita before I go 64 bit.

slash_2_2000 said:
Yeah, but I'm wondering more about the actual performance in relation to a 32bit, in the real world...

Basically, I want speed. Mmm... speed...

Loadup time really depends on the harddrive.

AMD's will run HL2 alot better than Intel chips. 64 bit has nothing to do with this.

When we do switch over to 64 bit, we can take advantage of an almost doubble peformance boost. If you do decide the Intel route, I also recomend the few extra dollars for a 64 bit Intel chip, so you can run newer operating systems in the future.

kingcorona1212 said:

What the hell are you talking about? 64-bit doesn't make your screen brighter! There are controls on your monitor for that.

Well the general comparison is, if its an AMD athlon 3200, it will compare to a 3.2 GHZ intel. if its a 2800, its a 2.8 GHZ. if its a 4400, well, i guess you could say its a 4.4 GHZ although, I dont think intel has such a monster yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom