Cannot write CDs faster than 4X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centropolis

Baseband Member
On my curent system, even though i have a CD-writer that can write 16X, I can only write at 4X. I first thought that must be my slow Celeron 333MHz (yes laugh at me) system that is bring it down. But I then install it on my friend's 600MHz machines, it does the same thing. Could it be the the way I put the writer with the CD-ROM on the same IDE cable and the transfer rate cannot support it? I dont know....

Any ideas?

Nah, the rate is fine. What software are you using to burn? In what format? What drive model is it? Are the drivers rolled up?

Centropolis are trying to do an on-the-fly direct copy to cd-burner drive from another cd-rom drive? if they are on the same IDE cable than yes that maybe your problem, but when you tested on your friend's computer did you also test by copying from a cd-rom on the same cable as well?

put cd-rom and burner on different cables. it should not matter whether they are master or slave or cable select, but sometimes you will have to experiment with those configurations.

another thing you can try is in your CD burning software un-select the copy-on-the-fly option so the data gets copied to hard disk first. please tell me the speed you get when copying from hard disk. what was the other thing he could try, enable DMA over PIO mode or was that for hard disk or maybe that is something entirely different?

thats not stupid at all, i didn't even consider that and its a very good point. but also kboy have you ever seen a blank CD with a max 4x write? i would also think he would not have blank CD's that old even. . . .but than again maybe he is a Costco Platinum member and stockpiles em, anything is possible :)

Does it happen only when u dupe cd's or even when ur writing from the harddrive ..
Again .. if ur useing old 4x re-writable cd's .then it would burn at 4x only ..

Shrapnill said:
What software are you using to burn?

Old versions of some burnin' app don't recognise the drive properly .. try using another app to burn.

LOL ... Dude .. i guess if u keep 'em for a couple more years .. u can sell em to a museum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom