$10,000 reward for RAM help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadRunner6

Solid State Member
Hi. I'm new here and my first trip under the hood of my computer. I have a xxxx (rhymes with yell) computer. It currently has 512MB DDR PC3200 (256x2) and two empty slots and supports a total of 4GB RAM (I verified this with the Crucial System Scanner). My two questions are:

#1 Can I add 512MB each to the remaining two slots, in other words they don't have to also be 256BM, correct? This should give me a total of 1.5GB? Just want to be sure before I order them.

#2 I plan to order 2ea Crucial 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM, 400. Both NewEgg and Chief Value show two slightly different model numbers that are just a dollar or so different in price. One is a Crucial CT6464Z40B and the other is a CT6464Z40B.8T. Does anyone know if this ".8T" makes any real difference? Both of these OEM models have exactly the same specs. I will be doing some video editing in the future. Is Crucial a reputable brand with top reliability?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

RR6 :D

PS Oh yeah, the check will be in the mail ASAP! ;)

Yes using 2 512 modules will work fine just make sure it is the same type and speed as the other ram in your computer.

I have heard good things about crutial ram but i prefer OCZ because its meant to hold up its meant to be fast and its comes with a lifetime warranty!!!!

Try this: on your desktop, or Start > My Computer, right click and goto Properties. It'll show a window, look for "Computer:", and beneath this it will show your specs. It MIGHT show you breifly what kind of ram you have! (ie, "512 DDR RAM") If not, I'd just rip the two RAM chips you have off your MotherBoard and take 'em into the store with you. (If you're ordering online... well then now you can understand the drawbacks of that) The guy might be able to tell you, "yeah, we carry this type, here's some more, it's not outdated," or "it's outdated," and/or "we don't carry it"..."here's some new shit". Eaither way, RAM is pretty cheap last I cheacked. and it might be worth it to raplace 512 older ram with 512 newer ram. I dunno, this would be cool if someone could answer that.

BTW!!! You CAN'T add 512 MB of any old ram to your current RAM setup!!! Why? They might be different types!!! This creates I think a "bottleneck"! I tried it oncw without knowing and my computer ran untolerably slow! So you need to know whta kind of ram you have already! You can't mix different types. I hope that explains better in case you didn't understand.

... So yeah there's like a buncha different kinds of RAM. I know DDR is one...

$10,000 for RAM help.

Strange I seen another forum with the some what same topic but to answer that question o_O

I doubt anyone would give 10k on this though lol.

what kind of dell is it, just make sure that it isint dual channel ram, cuz then ur gonna have to order some dual channel there buddy, i made that mistake on my dell

THANKS MUCH FOR THE HELP!

Yes, I also verified with a second visit to the Crucial brand (Micron Technology) website that I can add the two 512MB's, of course as long as they are the exact same specs as the original two. Their scanner is slick. Just a very quick download and they analyze your cpu and ram and give you a range of their ram that will work on your particular computer. I saw that some of the other brands do the same thing. I will check out the OZC.

Shawn,

I am shocked and mortified that you call me a liar! Notice that nobody has answered the second part of my question about the small difference in the two model numbers of the Crucial ram. The $10,000 is for someone who answers (correctly) both parts, #1 and #2. I thought that was obvious and implied.

In anticipation, that I will eventually get the correct answer to my two part question, my wife has been searching through boxes in the attic trying to find our Monopoly game.

RR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom