Can 1 scanner be used for 2 computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flarosie

Beta member
My scanner went out on me at work and it's a really vital part of what I do. Now I'm forced to ask a coworker to scan things for me, wasting both our time... and I'm sure he's getting as sick of my asking him for "one quick favor" as I am. Is there any way we could share the scanner via a USB dual cord or something....? :confused:

Rosie

are the computers networked or connected together in anyway. If so he can do a network share of the device.

Depending on the type of scanner, a switch may work, or network sharing...
However, since it is a vital part of your job :

The ulitmate solution is to just keep asking your boss to use his scanner... One page at a time, with trips back to your cubicle to retrive each page and verify the scan... that you just saved on floppy. . .After about 10 pages, he should have the AMEX card ready for you...

I think we're connected through the network. I know (at least) that our printers are, since about 15 people have access to printing things out using the same printer. So... it only makes sense that the scanner should be able to be shared also, right?

Suprised nobody asked this yet but, what type of scanner is it. Most scanners cannot be shared but some can be just as a printer can. Depends on the make/model.

-Mike

The hole point of my previous post was that sneakernet-scanners are big pains.. If it is a vital part of your job, your boss should just let you get a new one. . . Shared or not, using a co-workers scanner still requires you to leave your desk and invade his space Both are total wastes of time!

What btw, is the problem with your scanner that it "went out on you".... Have you tried reinstalling the software for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom