Upgrading memory on a dimension 9100

Status
Not open for further replies.

exOptimum

Beta member
I have a dell dimenison 9100 I bought two weeks ago. Here's the specs...

Intel Penitum D 820 (2.8 GHz) w/Dual Core Technology
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
16X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RW
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Dual TV Tuner (which blows)

anyway... I want to upgrade to two gigs. I have two 512 sticks in there manufactured by dell obviously. Getting two more 512's will cost me like 170 bucks if I get them from dell which is kind of insane. I went on newegg.com and found so many companies that make the same memory super cheap.

My question is... should I upgrade using dell memory, and if I don't need to, what other company should I use that has reliable memory. I was also wondering if I could get a 1 gig stick instead of 2 more 512's. I think I read somewhere that you are suppose to keep them all the same size. Thanks

exOptimum said:
I have a dell dimenison 9100 I bought two weeks ago. Here's the specs...
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz... Getting two more 512's will cost me like 170 bucks if I get them from dell which is kind of insane.
My question is... should I upgrade using dell memory

OK, your Dell 9100 (just got one last week myself) has 4 memory sockets. While you could install RAM singly, you need matched pairs for Dual-Channel access. The machine takes either 533 MHz or 667 MHz modules, but if you mix them it will run all modules at the slower speed, so there's no point to buying the faster type.

You do know that Dell doesn't make RAM, right? So they are selling the same Samsung or Infineon or Micron that everyone else provides. Your best bet is to get RAM from a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with your model of machine, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

You can install 2 more 512 Mb in the machine for a total of 2 Gb - your machine will then be stuffed, so if you want to go beyond 2 Gb you'll have to take some of the 512's out.

If you are in the USA you can get the 533 MHz for $118 for the pair here
Data Memory Systems

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom