Going to partition hard drive? maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
ingeborgdot said:
I am going with 3.
os
data, vid etc
backup??? not sure what but for safety I guess

Ok I started to load xp. I did the first partition at 30gb for the os. Now for the rest which will be two partitions where can I find info on what to do next. How do I create the other partitions?

this sound good. turn off system restore on your other partitions except C. this will keep your files better organize and you won't have to defragment those drives. if you had a second hard I would put a swap file at the begining of it.

I have the os installed and now have to install all drivers. My little problem is all my drive letters are screwed up. My hard drive is g as I have some usb devices and also dvd players. How can I change the names? DO I just rename??

Also with my hdd being G and trying to change it I get this
windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume. I guess a couple of new devices I added took the C and I didn't realize it. I should have paid attention. What can I do or is there anything?

Also when adding the last partitions in disk management should I choose primary or extended? What is best?

you might have to start over. this time head to the C partition, when you are done partitioning your hard drive. Sorry I left that part out. it is real easy to make that mistake your first time.

When I am repartitioning now it is showing me C: for the hdd. Will it try and change it somewhere or should I be fine now???

ingeborgdot said:
When I am repartitioning now it is showing me C: for the hdd. Will it try and change it somewhere or should I be fine now???

yes. that the partition that want install xp on (it should say something to that effect)

Along with putting apps on the partitions I have microsoft digital image suite10. It comes with two discs one being the installation disc and the other being the clip art and project templates. I don't need the 2nd disc installed for it to work but everytime I need it I will have to put it in. It does take up about 750mb of space. Could I put this in the big partition away from the os and apps because it does not need to be a part of the program to function is what it says. Anyone know anything about the suite10? Thanks.

get alcohol 120.

it will rip the disc to your hard drive and then you can mount it on a virtual drive (kinda like a partition). with alcohol you can mount 31 virtual drives.

I have a question about moving the files to my second partition called D: drive. I have moved my music and my pictures with no problem using tweak ui but want to know about my documents. This folder is a little different because it says documents and settings etc. What if any special procedure should I use to move it from the C:drive to D?

Go to start right click my documents, click properties (you can only do it here) and select move. Move it to you second partition. it will ask you if you want to move your files, click yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom