Which Gaming LCD Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
Okay so I got a Viewsonic 17" LCD monitor with a 25 ms response time (yuck) and the heaven's have slain my sister's old 15" CRT. She is going to college soon and needs a LCD for desk space.

My padre has agreed to give me whatever cash my current monitor is worth towards a new one rather pay for it all. :D

I grin and start some research:

I see that 8ms 19" LCDs can go as low a $300, BUT...... Viewsonic has a whole new series of 3,4,5 ms response monitors for about $80 more....

My question to the masses: Is the few ms really that noticeable? I mean....if I get a 8ms response monitor that will be over three times as fast. I currently get some ghosting in most areas and really bad ghosting in some situations.

Also what brand is good? Viewsonic is stuck in my head as the best but does brand really matter? I like the Samsung, Hyundai IQ, and some other brands. They all look pretty.

"the difference when playing games between this and 8ms monitors is negligible to non-existent" this was a review on the Viewsonic VX924 taken from www.compshopper.co.uk , basically you won't see much difference while playing games as 8ms is allready fast for a lcd, i would go with viewsonic or samsung :) they both make good screens.

Thanks for quick responses. That Hyundai one has really good reviews elsewhere form newegg and with 19" + DVI port I think I am sold.

ya its editors choice at tomshardware. Has very nice contract ratio, and 300 cd/m2.

i wouldnt spend the extra 100$, the 2 i showed up there are just as good as that one.

U-Toast said:
i wouldnt spend the extra 100$, the 2 i showed up there are just as good as that one.

You are very incorrect. First off the L90d+ is a TN panel and the VP191B is a VA. There is no comparison to the picture quality, color and viewing angles. Quote:

"TN, IPS, VA, who that? ?

Even if you regularly follow the LCD events and our tests, it is always a good idea to remind you of all the uses of some of the LCD bases.

There are hundreds of monitor manufacturers but only a few of them build the essential component: the panel. This element gathers electronic components and liquid crystals. This is the panel that will determine the monitorÂ’s quality. Four manufacturers clearly dominate the market: Samsung, LG-Philips (in this area, these two are united), AU Optronics and CMO. Monitor manufacturers just buy a panel, design and build a bezel and combine the two of them. Now the most important part is the choice of the panel. Hundreds of products are available and are split in three families, three technologies with up and downsides.

TN panels: these are the fastest and cheapest ones. These panels are the most gifted for games but have a twinkling effect in videos and reduced viewing angles. All panel manufacturers have a TN products.

IPS: developed by Hitachi, IPS panels are ardently supported y LG-Philips and Nec. They are half-way between the TN and VA: good color quality, more or less good reaction time, very wide viewing anglesÂ…The only problem is: IPS tends to stagnate when other rival technologies progress quickly.

VA panels: launched by Fujitsu and available under the MVA denomination for AU Optronics, Sharp and CMO, PVA for Samsung, VA monitors have considerably improved LCD color quality. Until last March, however, these monitors were so slow that it was impossible to imagine them in a "gamerÂ’s" home. Then, in April, came the release of AU Optronics the Premium MVA 8 ms in the VP191bÂ…"

In the first link the Iiyama E480S 8ms panel is the same panel used in the hyundai's L90D+. They are made by samsung.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/572-5/19-lcd-monitor-survey-4-8-ms-tn-ips-va.html

http://www.behardware.com/articles/563-1/viewsonic-vp191b-mva-8-ms-tn-monitor-killer.html

You will be happy with a L90D+ or orgasmic with a VP191b...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=940919&highlight=l90d+

Toast gets owned there. Sry for what i said :) Nice post vaderpro.

Just 1 remark, y is all this under lower end upgrades tho? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom