Going to partition hard drive? maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be good to make 3 partitions and ghost a perfect image of you os and programs when first installed on it or just make 2 parts and ghost the image to a dvd???

Does this look good? What do you think?
35 OS and apps
35 Data and some games(not many)
25 Pictures
25 Music
100 Video
20 Backup - OS

overkill but it will work.

copy and pasted from another topic

http://www.techist.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=410376

EricB said:
I partition my hard drives. I have 7 on 3 hard drives. I don't use system restore on any drive but C. I have my pagefile on it's own partition. (the first 3 gigs on a 160 gig sata hard). I don't need to defrag

I know you all will oppose to this, but when I do defrag in this setup it doesn't move anything but a couple of files on my C drive. I never experience a speed loss either. Now I do, do a disc cleanup for my temp files though for obvious reasons

My set up
1 50 gig WD. 3 partitions (2C and a G). 2 20 and 1 10 gig (Dual boot OS, 1 Game Drive)

1 200 gig Maxtor. 2 partitions(L and M). 2 94.5 gigs (My Documents, My Movies)

1 160 gig seagate sata. 2 partitions(S and X). 1 3gig and 1 146 (Swap File and Xtra)

I just don't have a reason to do it

I wouldnt start making a partition for each different type of files. I just use the 2 at home, System and Data. 12 GB for my system, and 148 (approx) for my data. If you start making the partitions for each thing, one of these days you will run out of space on that certain partition, and then youll have to start saving data on another. Its just much easier to just have the 2 partitions.

Ok, overkill so what would you do?
Could I make three?
OS and apps
Data, music, pics, video
Backup
Or would just two be ok
OS and apps
Data, music, pics, video and forget the backup?

I usually do this :
74GB raptor:
10gb Part for OS + updates ONLY
64GB Part for Applications and games

160GB Sata:
just 1 part for all downloads, multimedia and such

I am going with 3.
os
data, vid etc
backup??? not sure what but for safety I guess

Ok I started to load xp. I did the first partition at 30gb for the os. Now for the rest which will be two partitions where can I find info on what to do next. How do I create the other partitions?

during booting (xp cd) when it come to ask you to install xp (after you hit f8), hit escape. Now you will come to a screen when you can create and delete partitions

PartitioningWindowsScreen.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom