Sata

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry5739

In Runtime
My motherboard supports SATA...however my HD is IDE...what advantage would i notice by going to sata harddrive instead??

Although there would be a performance difference, I doubt it would be noticeable. Especially if your motherboard and current hard drive use ATA133. I say this because SATA hard drives transfer data at 150MBps, and IDE(PATA) hard drives that use ATA133 transfer data at 133MBps.

As you can see, 133 and 150 arent that far from each other, and therefore have a very very small performance difference. Not to mention, a hard drive cant even have a sustained data transfer rate of 133 let alone 150. The high interface speeds are there for (as algu said) burst rates.

I dont recommend getting a SATA to replace a PATA drive just because it will perform better, because you will be disappointed in the difference, or lack thereof.

The real advantage of SATA is RAID (excluding 10k rpm hdd.) With PATA if you want RAID you have to put them both on the same cable, so they share the bandwidth of 133mb/s, where as SATA you have the hdd. on seperate cables, so they have a dedicated 150mb/s to them selves.

Haha I bought a SATA drive a while back just to see a speed increase, and I did not, so in that sense it was a waste of money. It performs the same as my old IDE drive. It's not worth it at all if you only want a speed increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom